register for free

Dog News

Ten breeds banned by Dublin City Council

Some dog-owning residents of Dublin's housing estates and flat complexes may be feeling a little aggrieved today.

Dublin Country Council has confirmed a list of ten breeds to be banned, with the ban being implemented through the Tenancy Agreement for all existing and future tenants.

The breeds affected by the ban, which has been in effect since July 01, are

- American Pit Bull Terrier
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- English Pit Bull Terrier
- Bull Mastiff
- Doberman Pinscher
- German Shepherd Dog (Alsation)
- Rhodesian Ridgeback
- Rottweiler
- Japanese Akita
- Japanese Tosa

The Irish Times reported that the council has taken this step because of the increasing number of complaints from tenants and because of the possible legal implication of an attack taking place on any of it's properties.

The ban will initially apply to council housing and public areas within council estates.

The Irish Times also went on to report that the council plans to amend its bylaws to include public parks in the ban. Meaning anyone owning one of the listed dogs could not walk it in a public park, even if they lived in private housing.

Your comments and views:
Sarmon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I have recieved reply to my emails from Brendan Hyden of Dublin City Council as well as the Minister of The Environment John Gormley.

NEITHER of them answered ANY of my questions I put to them, all they did was tell me about the ban and what breeds of dogs were banned, which I knew anyway.

They are banning the dogs through the tenancy agreement. Anyone that signs a tenancy agreement from now on will be signing to say that they are banned from keeping these breeds of dogs.

This is the only piece of info I managed to get from them:

Those tenants who are currently living in Council property can be brought under this condition by virtue of the fact that the tenancy agreement which they signed, states
that Dublin City Council has an obligation to ensure that their tenants live in a safe environment.

The Council has a duty of care to all its tenants to ensure that they live in a safe environment. The ban on these breeds will be implemented through the Tenancy Agreement thereby including all existing tenants as well as all future tenants.

In the Dublin area since January 2007 there have been ten reported dog attacks on people, three of which were on children the youngest being three years of age. The dogs involved in these attacks were Bull Mastiff, Pit Bull Terriers, Japanese Akita, Rothweilers and German Shepherds. In the first six months of 2007 seventy-three banned dogs were surrendered by their owners and a further one hundred and sixty-nine were picked up as strays.

Also that anyone who has one of these breeds as a family pet (though I dont know how they are going to classify what a family pet is or isnt) will have the right to appeal and most likely be able to keep their dog.

They are looking to introduce the ban to cover all parks in Dublin, though Pheonix Park and St. Stephens Green will not be covered by this.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-07-2007, 08:22 PM
I cannot understand why all dogs currently living in council accomodation either as pets, or as assistance dogs, cannot be allowed to live out their natural lifespan. Any dogs that are allowed to roam the streets should obviously be picked up by the relevant authorities, plus any dogs that are responsible for attacks on children etc. However, dogs living as pets within the family environment and kept under proper control, walked regularly and exercised should surely not have to suffer for the actions of people who should not be allowed to own any animal at all.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Its another disgraceful case of generalisation and persecution of breeds! Its about time we did something with the irresponsible owners. Oh theres a thought!
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-07-2007, 06:12 PM
As an owner of three Dobermans I am worried at this trend of generalisation aimed at specific breeds that are regarded as dangerous, I am concerned particularly at the Doberman being listed when attacks are somewhat rare despite the reputation. I do however realise that if a Doberman does attack a person the result would be very serious indeed.

It only goes to show how ignorant the would be 'nanny state' council are when listing a breed.

According to the Center for Disease Control, the top 10 most dangerous dogs are:

* 1. Pit Bulls
* 2. Rottweilers
* 3. German Shepherds
* 4. Huskies
* 5. Alaskan Malamutes
* 6. Doberman Pinschers
* 7. Chow Chows
* 8. Great Danes
* 9. St. Bernards
* 10. Akitas
I don't see any Malamutes Great Danes or Bernards on that council list

Fatal dog bite statistics by breed 1979-1998:

* Pit bull-type: 66
* Rottweiler: 39
* German Shepherd Dog: 17
* Husky-type: 15
* Malamute: 12
* Doberman Pinscher: 9
* Chow Chow: 8
* Great Dane: 7
* Saint Bernard: 7

A survey of dog bites in Britain showed that Golden Retrievers were actually the most common attackers. Reasons there are likely because they are more common place, or are they? The most common dog I see nowadays are Collies

Germany dangerous dogs??

Cat.1)
American Staffordshire Terrier
Pitbull Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bull Terrier
Neopolitan Mastiff
Spanish Mastiff
Dogue de Bordeux
Dogo Argentino
Fila Brasileiro
Roman Fighting Dog
Chinese Fighting Dog
Bandog
Tosa Inu

Cat.2)
Akbash
Briard
Beauceron
Bullmastiff
Dobermann
Estrela Mountain Dog
Komondor
Kuvasz
Maremma
Mastiff
Pyrenean Mastiff
Pyrenean Mountain Dog
Rottweiler
Tibetan Mastiff

What no German shepherd? are they called something else in Germany?

If you are going to ban something, at least get your facts someway right
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I honestly can't understand your reasoning behind this, I can only assume you haven't listened to or understood the Deed not the Breed campaign, do you not realise it's bad owners at fault here not the dogs. Please educate yourselves and halt this decision until you have done so.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Anne, they are posting info not opinion !

The Centre for disease control where ?
We dont have one here in the UK, so is that the centre in Ireland or the States ?

Can't believe Mals are there and St Bernies ....lol

It becomes more comical really, how pathetic.
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Mr Kevin Humphreys the labour councillor has also called for the banned breeds to be banned totally from Ireland.
One of the reasons for the ban is because they fear prosecution if an attack occurs on their estates.
Several large organisations are fighting against it but I don't think I can post the main petition link on here???
I go to shows and have seen just about EVERY breed show aggression, (usually towards other dogs). No legislation should be breed specific, it is down to the owners.
Of the dogs that were picked up or handed in they are obviously not much loved family pets, which is what the majority of dogs put to sleep will be.
How can the dogs be re-homed when there is no-where to exercise them and the ban might affect the whole of Ireland? Cork Council are thinking of implementing the ban in September.
When the thugs have their dogs taken away they will only move onto other breeds and then it will be a ban on them and so it will go on and on, unless it is stopped now.
jorjamae1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi, i totally agree with everyone on this, they should ban the deed not the breed! If a dog attacks someone then i think that the owner should be held accountable as well, and not just have a slap on the wrist, the dog ends up loosing it's life and the owner gets to go get another dog?? What's up with that?? The owner's should do a little jail time, paya fine and not be allowed to own another dog! I also can't believe that husky type dogs are on that other list! I own 2 Siberan Huskies and i know other's who own these beautiful dogs, there isn't an aggressive bone in there body (so long as you bring them up without hurting them, just like any dog really) I have 4 kids and my dogs just adore them. The cork county council have a lot to answer for as all they are doing is sentancing all those beautiful dogs to death! It just breaks my heart.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top