register for free

Dog News

Is this Britain's naughtiest dog?

A couple believe they may own Britain's naughtiest dog after the puppy ate its way through wallpaper, bricks and even the family's new kitchen floor.
Ralph, the seven-month-old spaniel, has chomped his way through cables and destroyed solar panels at his home in Guisborough, North Yorkshire.
Despite his adorable puppy-dog eyes, owners Dean and Diane Yates say the animal regularly creates havoc in their home.
More here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...new-floor.html

Your comments and views:
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2015, 08:48 AM
He looks so innocent.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2015, 12:39 PM
No, he is not the most naughtiest dog ... he is not naughty at all. His owners are ... all the clues are in the article:

"Dean Yates (pictured) said his family could not resist Ralph's cute and cuddly looks and lively character when they first went to choose a family pet
"

"They also returned home one evening to find a huge section of the kitchen floor pulled up, with Ralph staring mischievously at them."

Clearly owners with not a clue about such a smart, active and very easily bored breed.

And now they have a baby on the way ... we all know what will happen.

O God, when will people ever LEARN!! To do their homework, NOT TO BE RULED OR FOOLED BY CUTENESS, to make sure if they do not have the time for long walks every day that they do not purchase a high energy breed.

My heart bleeds for the poor dog ... he is frustrated, misunderstood and just plain in the wrong home. The bloke in the picture looks like he could do with some long walks ... I suggest he gets off the sofa and does both himself and the dog a big favour and take some long walks and seeks help from a trainer or at least joins a puppy class.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2015, 12:49 PM
We have a spaniel and he has had his moments of destruction, but nothing on this scale. With Tommy it's always been something that he did overnight, he has toys, has been to puppy classes and he loves his walks. Tommy zooms round his walk in all the undergrowth flushing out pheasants as he goes, you would never know he has hip dysplasia. We have also given Tommy a job on an evening, he has to 'help' with the laundry, each item he brings down is swapped for a treat. I'm sure this dog will calm down eventually, they are high energy and they need an outlet.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2015, 01:29 PM
So true Tommy - what a brilliant idea getting him to "help" with the laundry ... mine would just eat it!!
Izzythesprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2015, 05:55 PM
That poor pup just sounds bored! Izzy would do the same if left alone for too long especially when she was that age!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 08:10 AM
I'd be ashamed to admit I owned a dog that was destructive. I owned a Springer Spaniel when my children were small, and what a wonderful dog she was. She loved to go swimming, especially when we went to the nearby lake where she would catch fish. We took her for long walks and she played in the garden with the children but she was never destructive in the house, just interested in everything the family did. I now have two very different dogs neither of whom have ever been destructive when left alone. I can leave them both for hours, knowing they won't touch a thing whilst I'm away.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Destructo dogs are not always bored dogs. My dog was exercised a ton, I'm absolutely certain it was more than enough for a dog his age and size when he was little. He simply had the desire to destroy things.

I could bring him in from a long run, and he'd be tired and lie down and be still. But if you handed him a toy, he'd get to work destroying it... because he simply loved to destroy things. Some pups are just like that.

He was never left alone, but he destroyed each and every toy I bought him, and destroyed anything he could get his paws on. It's fun to some puppies. He grew out of this quickly, it was a young puppy phase... about 4-5 months. More like a month from when he got here at 15 weeks.

We had a cat who would knock things off of tables and counters. He'd just take his feet and swipe things down. He didn't care what it was. He was large and rather strong, so even moderately heavy items could be knocked down.

We ended up with shattered glasses, containers, and picture frames. Spilled drinks and food (if you got up for a moment, he'd come and swipe your drinking cup off the table). He went into bathrooms and swiped toothpaste tubes onto the floor etc.

My parents literally had to either weigh everything down, or remove it entirely. It was a pain in the rear end. This lasted a while, along with torn toilet paper and constant fights between him and our female cat at the time. They just hated each other, and the fights wold often get vicious, inflicting serious injuries.

After he decided to start urinating and defecating on everything... my parents decided that it was enough, and he was given away. Probably to one of my dad's uncles to live as an outdoor country type cat... he'd have liked that.

Some pets just enjoy doing things that make no sense to us. IDK why GooGoo enjoyed knocking things over, even though it got him in trouble, or why Nigredo thought it was funner to destroy his toys instead of being able to play with them over and over... but they did.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Good points Myra ... ADHD dogs ?!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Funny you say that. My mother always used to call Nigredo an ADHD puppy. It wasn't so much of him being under stimulated, just him finding destruction very fun. Same as silly Goo Goo the cat. He just felt like it. After I began to buy sterile bones and other extremely hard to destroy toys, he stopped trying so hard and this phase went away.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top