Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Opinions on Butchers tinned tripe mix

Opinions on Butchers tinned food please ..
Thank you
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I used to give it mine, and they enjoyed it.

However, I was told that it contains an artificially manufactured vitamin, which is banned in human food, as it has been linked to hyperactivity in children. So they have Wainwrights trays now.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I looked it up the other day - doesn't look too bad but also not a brilliant food IMO.
My first qualm would be how difficult it is to actualy find an ingredients list online - if it's full of good ingredients, do they not want to brag about this on their website in full detail? Their website follows the same kind of thing as Pedigree etc. - they mention the plus points, list al the benefits of the ingredients, but don't actually pinpoint what's in there in what quantities. What are they hiding?
Secondly, when you do find the ingredients, it's derivatives and vague descriptions of "meat" - what meat, exactly? Who knows, and if you don't know what you're feeding, how can you be sure it will agree with your drop. Even the tripe flavour lists "meat" - minimum of 26% tripe but I'm seeing claims of "40% real meat" on some online shops so if this is the case, what's the other 14%?
Vague ingredients also allow for different quantities to be used in each batch created. One batch may be 26% tripe and 14% (just using that figure as an example) chicken, which is fine if your dog is OK with chicken. But say the next batch is 26% tripe, 7% chicken and 7% beef, and your dog isn't great with beef, here comes a little bit of an upset stomach. But not too bad, so you buy another batch, and this one is 26% tripe and 14% beef - yikes, worse tummy for your dog. Ingredient lists are kept vague for a reason, it give them the flexibility to chuck whatever they get cheap in there, and this isn't great for dogs with sensitive tummies as their food is constantly changing despite being the same brand, and even, supposedly, the same flavour.

This is the list I found online
Ingredients
With Tripe: Meat and Animal Derivatives (Tripe min. 26%), Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Minerals
With Tripe and Chicken: Meat and Animal Derivatives (Tripe min. 19%, Chicken min. 18%), Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Minerals
With Tripe and Beef: Meat and Animal Derivatives (Tripe min.15%, Beef min. 10%), Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Minerals.

Dietary Information
Free From Gluten
Free From Artificial Colours
Free From Artificial Flavours
Free From Artificial Preservatives

The "free from" stuff probably puts it ahead of Pedigree and other "supermarket foods" but I personally would rather know a bit more detail about what I'm feeding.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Personally, I feel it's one of the better wet foods
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 11:49 AM
It lists 'animal derivatives' as an ingredient. This term can cover some ghastly things so personally I would not feed it.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
It lists 'animal derivatives' as an ingredient. This term can cover some ghastly things so personally I would not feed it.
As someone who feeds whole prey, I don't think derivatives is bad in terms of being ghastly ingredients but I do agree that it's best to avoid - a dog eating a beak, two feet and some feathers on a whole chicken is one thing, but chances are that wet food will contain far more of these "spare" parts like feet, beaks, bones etc. than the natural proportion on a whole animal, as they're going to be cheaper than the meat part of the animal.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
As someone who feeds whole prey, I don't think derivatives is bad in terms of being ghastly ingredients but I do agree that it's best to avoid - a dog eating a beak, two feet and some feathers on a whole chicken is one thing, but chances are that wet food will contain far more of these "spare" parts like feet, beaks, bones etc. than the natural proportion on a whole animal, as they're going to be cheaper than the meat part of the animal.

I take on board your point.

Also with commercial foods, 'animal derivatives' can apparently include items that are not what any of us would want our dogs to be eating. One article I saw stated that the term could include pet ID tags and parts of other dogs....
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Mine did well on it when I fed canned food. I then used it sometimes as `flavouring ` for kibble.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Mine have this mixed in with their dried stuff and they love it and no dodgy bums from it like I previously found with other tinned stuff
Tracy
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I use it and my dogs like it, i only use a bit to pep their kibble but as someone else said, i thought it was one of the better tinned foods. I use Naturediet too but i can't get it locally and need to make a special trip for it so i use Butchers as well when i run out of Naturediet.

Bella has extremely sensitive guts and i have had no problem with Butchers but i avoid the liver one for obvious reasons
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »