Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 06:26 PM

Dog book reviews?

Is there a section for dog book reviews? (if so I can't find it )

I got a book called "Think Dog" by John Fisher (play.com £7.99) & tried to do a search to see what others think of it?
It only arrived this morning & I'd managed to read half of it before I realised it was midday & I ought to get dressed!
Am finding it really interesting for someone like me who has no previous experience of dogs. I did originally get the book called "Mine" for resource guarding but found it way to complicated.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 06:38 PM
That sounds good maybe I could borrow it when your finished, I will refund you the postage.
I have "Control unleashed "if your interested and "The Culture Clash", maybe we could do a swop
Elaine xxx
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 06:44 PM
ooh yes that would be good Elaine!

Also if anybody has anything more basic about dogs - I will happily swap my "MINE" book!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Is there a section for dog book reviews? (if so I can't find it )

I got a book called "Think Dog" by John Fisher (play.com £7.99) & tried to do a search to see what others think of it?
It only arrived this morning & I'd managed to read half of it before I realised it was midday & I ought to get dressed!
Am finding it really interesting for someone like me who has no previous experience of dogs. I did originally get the book called "Mine" for resource guarding but found it way to complicated.
I love "Think Dog" but - John Fisher did alter his thinking about pack leadership, which is documented in another of his books written just before he died, called "Diary of a Dotty Dog Doctor" (which is very entertaining and also explains his view that alpha "means diddly squat to your dog"

I do think he was one of the very best authors for helping owners to understand why their dogs do what they do. I did a course written by him and it was very good, I was then motivated to go on and do more so in a way I feel he shaped my interest in behaviour.

"Mine" - I have this and have often seen peeps suggest it to owners, but I've always thought it too confusing for many owners and your post has just confirmed that. It's quite "behaviouristy" so good if you are really well into the deeper side of the learning about it IMO Not to say that it's not very valuable indeed, but it's not for everyone.

I do think The Culture Clash is a "must read" though as Elaineb has said as it really explains why dogs do what they do, and tries to dispel the Lassie myth which can only be good

A book I think you may really enjoy is this one:

100 Ways to train the Perfect Dog:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Ways-Tra...<br /> <br /> It's one of the very best books for owners I've ever seen. I'd highly recommend it, and give it a whopping great gold star It's totally excellent and explains how to understand your dog as well as covering living with her, useful training ideas and so on.

Another is this one, I've not actually read it but I have spoken to the author on a training list and I think she's filled a niche,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Handle-L...ref=pd_sim_b_6

I'd also recommend this one for owners:

Stress in dogs
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stress-Dogs-...ref=pd_sim_b_6

It may look a bit complicated but it's not at all and it shows I think how easily dogs can get stressed and has some interesting case histories.

This is on my "to get" list:
Barking: the sound of a language
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barking-Lang...ref=pd_sim_b_3

Dog Manual
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Manual-D...2543836&sr=1-1
some very good step by step training techniques, not just obedience but useful things...

I think somewhere there is a thread about books but not sure where?

Wys
x
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 06:58 AM
I have Bones Would Rain From the Sky by Suzanne Clothier. It is not an instruction book as such but more a philosophical look at our relationships with dogs. I like to browse this book when I am feeling frustrated with my dog's behaviour because it is very good at putting the dog's point of view.
The author also has a website.
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2009, 08:15 AM
I have just purchased 100 Ways to train the perfect dog, and am also very impressed with it. Its easy to follow, lots of pics, covers training from basic to advanced and most importantly explains the way your dog thinks. The introduction comparing a dog to a person learning a new job is excellent and should be given to all new owners!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 09:04 AM
As well as Jean Donaldson's 'The Culture Clash', I would put 'on Talking Terms With Dogs: Claming Signals' by Turid Rugaas on the 'must read' list. It's focus upon interpreting dogs' body language, both when communicating with other dogs and with people. It's a really short and easy read too.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 09:10 AM
My all time favourite dog book is "Book of the Bitch" - I find this book so interesting. It covers breeding (the main reason why I bought it originally) but it covers sooooooo much more. I have read that book so many times now and each time I read it I find something I don't recall from the previous reads! It really is a fab book. I've recommended it to so many people who have also said they found it a great book packed with information
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Well - that's given more books to add to my wish list!
I finished my book last night and I feel quite empowered by it - some really interesting stuff.
(Why didn't I get such a book before I got the dog!)