Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 08:01 AM

The new Chicken Ritz

OH has finished the chicken and duck house - I am so pleased!!

When we made the pen, the ducks have been sleeping in the shed by themselves, but our goal was to have all the birds in the shed, leaving the old chicken ark for new arrivals/rabbits/whatever etc.

What with the weather and work etc, OH has not been able to do the work until now, but finished it yesterday.

Shed interior with Chicken Towers inside (comprising of nest boxes and perches)

Exterior with original pop hole (bottom) and new higher entrance and ramp

Exterior/interior showing ramp set up

Chicken venturing down ramp!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
That looks like a brill bird house. I'd love to have chickens but we don't have the room. Bet it's nice getting fresh duck eggs as well, they're usually good for baking!

How do you stop max and murphy eating the birds then? Monty loves to chase birds!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
That looks like a brill bird house. I'd love to have chickens but we don't have the room. Bet it's nice getting fresh duck eggs as well, they're usually good for baking!

How do you stop max and murphy eating the birds then? Monty loves to chase birds!
The boys would chase/kill/eat all 13 birds if we let them....

However, the run the birds are in is a 100sqm roofed pen, with a gate etc. If you look closely at the pictures, you can see the bird netting and frame in the background. The dogs simply aren't allowed in the pen.
It also serves to stop wild birds coming in and nicking food, as well as being protection from the bird flu virus.