Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2009, 05:44 AM

Marine fishkeeping

Morning! I was wondering if anyone else kept marine fish on here, I don't know many people who I can talk to about it, all my mates have tropical. I only have a nano cube but we are looking into getting a much bigger tank and using the cube to keep corals in, we seem to be getting a bit overrun with them! What breeds of fish have you got, and corals and other species too?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I used to keep marines many years ago. However, the ethical side of it I had to take into consideration as many species are still wild caught and not captive bred like many tropicals are.
Becky
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 09:56 AM
I had a marine tank a few years ago. Like Mahooli i dont like that many marine fish are wild caught, however i think these days there is more of a push for captive breeding rather than taking them from the wild. All of my fish were captive bred (i was a member of a fish forum so bought my fish from members on there so i knew their history).

I had a nano tank. I think if i did it again i'd go for a larger tank as it is much easier to keep a big tank stable. Mine "crashed" when i went away for about 3 days and therefore wasn't able to catch the problem before it all went wrong!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I think Marine tanks are absolutely beautiful (with live rock/coral) but my gosh, I wouldn't want to deal with the cost OR the maintenance. It is the cost primarily that puts me off. I looked into it for a while but had to be revived with smelling salts when I worked out roughly what the cost would be for a decent sized tank and all the equipment, including fish.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 01:57 PM
We've recently just broken our marine tank down and sold bits off as we haven't had the same level of time for it since getting Monty and also OH is away a lot this year so too much for me to do the tank and the dog and all the other house stuff.

I do miss it though as we had some gorgeous fish. One day I hope to get back into it but only when I feel I can really do it justice!

We're trying to sell our tank at the moment so if anyone Reading this is interested drop me a pm!
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Our goby is captive bred, I did an animal care course back in 2000 and I heard about the wild caught fish so made the pact that I would make sure I didn't add to their distress by buying them.

It hasn't cost us too much so far, the nano was on sale and we got money for christmas last year which we put towards it. We only have the one goby at the moment, he has his two pistol shrimp mates and two hermit crabs to keep him company as well as a refugee that came in the live sand. The corals we have let a few go mad and overtake on to the rocks that are in there so haven't had a huge need to stock it with expensive corals. I just love the look of them, the bright colours make me feel so relaxed. It reminds me of the Maldives when we went snorkelling, I have a piece of that in my house now :O) It does take a lot of work, but my husband does that as it was his thing in the first place. But I am getting the hang of it now and can do some chemicals, although I wouldn't mind a tropical tank where we can put more fish together as it is difficult to do that in a marine tank.