Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2007, 02:51 PM

Beginners Agility

We had our first ever agility lesson this morning and Missy was a little star . First of all , we were asked if our dogs had seen the equipment before. Missy has done a little recently at our training class. Then , after warming the dogs up , we were split into two's and each pair sent to a different obstacle. We were shown what to do , and also told what the dogs might do and how to correct it. Our first obstacle was the tunnel. The instructor held Missy, and I asked her to sit and wait. When I got to the other end , I called " Missy come" and she raced through the tunnel . She was so pleased with herself she wagged her whole body. . Next , we moved on to a jump. We started with the pole on the ground , so that the dog knows what's wanted , and again , the trainer held her and let her go when I called her. When the pole was put up , I had to ask Missy for a wait , then call her when she stopped being too keen. (Otherwise she knocked the pole down ). After we practised this for a little while , we moved on to the tyre . Missy loves the tyre ! When we were first being told how to do it , Miss kept jumping back and forward through it on her own ! After the tyre , we did weave poles , and last was the dog walk. Plenty of cheese was required here ! Missy was a little unsure of this and tried to rush but was slowly guided over with plenty of encouragement , praise and cheese. The instructor explained how to teach the dogs to stop on the contacts , before finishing the obstacle. My instructor was very pleased with us both. She told me that Missy is a natural . We have an excellent "wait" command. And if I go on to compete , I'll find it hard to keep up with her . I'm chuffed to bits as my instructor is an experienced dog handler and behaviourist , is an Associate of John Rogerson , she shows and judges Dobermanns, competes in agility and working trials , and is KC accredited. I really enjoyed this lesson and I'm looking forward to next week . Anyone thinking of doing agility should go ahead and try. It's great fun . You and your dog will love it. .
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 03:58 PM
hi there so pleased you had a great time sounds like you both had fun which is great.

i will be going to classes with one of my dogs once he is old enough and am looking forward to it. good luck and let us now how it goes
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks . The class was great . The emphasis was on fun and safety. All the dogs were happy and relaxed after the initial excitement. I'm really looking forward to next week. All of the jumps etc were kept low too so even tiny dogs could have done them. It's so good that I'm thinking about shows already but I've got to be patient and wait until Missy is ready. The club holds its own fun shows though and I think there's one at the end of the course. I'll post updates weekly. I would have liked to take pictures too but the class is held in an indoor riding school. As soon as I get photos , I'll post them . Good luck when you start agility with your dog . It really is fun for you and your dog.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I can't wait to start mine, just have to make home with the jumps in the garden lol!
Becky
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I can't wait to start mine, just have to make home with the jumps in the garden lol!
Becky
Hi Becky , your jumps are fab by the way ! Not enough room in my garden for them though . My instructor told us that to practise weave poles , get some electric fencing posts from an agricultural merchant . Start with two so your dog gets used to the entry , then add one more pole at a time so the dog gets confident as it's not overfaced with too many at a time. Are you waiting to start classes ?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm on a list for the local agility classes but they said it could take months as they have to wait for someone to drop out
I've just ordered a kiddies pop up tunnel for my tunnel!
Tomorrow I'm building a weave pole and hoop jump!
Thanks for your kind comments about my jumps lol!
Becky
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Sounds like you both done great... and more to the point sounds like you both had a wonderful time
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Our "basic" training includes tunnels - heel, sit, drop, stay, wait.

It is an eight week class.

We have also to teach our dog a "trick" - it doesn't really matter what it is - how difficult it is, but your dog has to do it!

I absolutely love dog obedience classes!

My little girl learnt how to "crawl" - she didn't do it perfectly, but she has now!

My little girl (10 months old), now does tunnel, sit-stay. drop - stay, wait (for her food-even though it is before her), sit-come(from 20 metres away) - drop-stay ( also from the same distance).

And I can walk at least 20 metres away!

She also knows leave, no bark- OK swimming pool, but shake before coming in.

You only have to give time.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 08:12 AM
We start our agility in April, when the weather improves as we are an outside club.Fudge was a little apprehensive of heights as a puppy so we will see how she does.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Glad you are also having fun sounds like Missy really loves it too - we are only on our 4th week and the improvement each week is amazing - and above all the enjoyment that Max is getting from it this week I could just see it!

Biggest problem for us is the dog walk but I'm told with time he will be comfortable on it! But looks like you aren't going to have any problems with Missy - keep us posted on progress! And keep having fun!

Have to agree that anyone thinking about just go for it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >