Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nardno
New Member!
Male 

02-01-2018, 03:53 PM

He's unpotty trained himself.

I've come here because I need a little help. But, first a little history of my dog. He's 11 years old now and we adopted him when he was 3 from a farm. He had a bladder infection when we adopted him for who knows how long and it's always made him a little shaky with the potty training. He's always tended to have an accident every couple of weeks. It's been obnoxious but, it wasn't something we couldn't handle. The vet established that he has an anatomical anomaly in his bladder that harbors bacteria and makes him inclined to have bladder infections.

My wife and I moved about 6 months ago. It added about 40 minutes to our day away from him. Our dog Lincoln has a nice room in our finished basement that he needs to stay in while we're gone so he doesn't eat out of the fridge or whatever he feels like doing. It's nice and warm, quiet and we've made a little nest for him that he can sleep in while we're gone. Since we've moved in he's been having accidents more and more. I think it's due to anxiety at this point rather than a bladder infection. We can leave for as little as ten minutes and he'll urinate on something in the room. It's almost as if he's completely unpotty trained. We've tried so many things I don't know if I can remember them all. We've tried collars that are supposed to calm him down, we've got a bark collar that's supposed to suppress his urge to bark, we've gotten him treats and food that are supposed to calm him down, used music, tv, things that smell like us, he's had supplements that are supposed to help him hold his bladder, I've gone home on my lunch breaks creating longer days for myself to walk him. The only things I can think of that I haven't tried are a dog walker/daycare and a crate. He's 85 lbs so I'm not sure a crate could contain him. I'm afraid he'd hurt himself. And a dog walker would have the stop by 4 or 5 times a day and I'd rather not spend 20 dollars a visit if I don't have to it's not realistic to spend 400 dollars a month to have him at daycare. I suppose we could try a Prozac type deal if that exists for dogs but I'm not a fan of that.

It's gotten to the point where we're constantly annoyed with the dog. It's not even relaxing to be around him. I don't want to consider finding a new home for him but, it's so extreme that it's almost the only option. We cant clean multiple puddles of urine and all the other stuff every day for years.

Any advice folks might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2018, 04:27 PM
I think a visit to the vet is in order to rule out any health issues. He's also probably stressed by the move and change in routine. Also he's knocking on so the idea of rehoming shouldn't even cross your mind. As for an 85 lb dog not fitting in a crate is nonsense my 100lb male Dobermann managed just fine but you shouldn't use it to contain his piddling habit, it's meant to be a den, a place of safety and security. So get the vet to rule out a Uti or incontinence first, and take it from there.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2018, 04:41 PM
First things first - a urine check at the vets to rule out infections

I take it this all started when you moved?

Strange house, strange new room for him to stay in and to make matters worse, a bark collar.

Get the infection ruled out before doing anything then try spending some time in his room with him to make him feel more at home in it. Play with him in there, sometimes feed him in there, sometimes just sit reading a book in there while he relaxes. Make it a good place to be in. He may just be marking his new room to make it feel more safe and to make it his own.

Make sure he has enough opportunities to relieve himself when required. Spend as much time with him as you can and try to make things a little easier on him
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Nardno View Post
I've come here because I need a little help. But, first a little history of my dog. He's 11 years old now and we adopted him when he was 3 from a farm. He had a bladder infection when we adopted him for who knows how long and it's always made him a little shaky with the potty training. He's always tended to have an accident every couple of weeks. It's been obnoxious but, it wasn't something we couldn't handle. The vet established that he has an anatomical anomaly in his bladder that harbors bacteria and makes him inclined to have bladder infections.

My wife and I moved about 6 months ago. It added about 40 minutes to our day away from him. Our dog Lincoln has a nice room in our finished basement that he needs to stay in while we're gone so he doesn't eat out of the fridge or whatever he feels like doing. It's nice and warm, quiet and we've made a little nest for him that he can sleep in while we're gone. Since we've moved in he's been having accidents more and more. I think it's due to anxiety at this point rather than a bladder infection. We can leave for as little as ten minutes and he'll urinate on something in the room. It's almost as if he's completely unpotty trained. We've tried so many things I don't know if I can remember them all. We've tried collars that are supposed to calm him down, we've got a bark collar that's supposed to suppress his urge to bark, we've gotten him treats and food that are supposed to calm him down, used music, tv, things that smell like us, he's had supplements that are supposed to help him hold his bladder, I've gone home on my lunch breaks creating longer days for myself to walk him. The only things I can think of that I haven't tried are a dog walker/daycare and a crate. He's 85 lbs so I'm not sure a crate could contain him. I'm afraid he'd hurt himself. And a dog walker would have the stop by 4 or 5 times a day and I'd rather not spend 20 dollars a visit if I don't have to it's not realistic to spend 400 dollars a month to have him at daycare. I suppose we could try a Prozac type deal if that exists for dogs but I'm not a fan of that.

It's gotten to the point where we're constantly annoyed with the dog. It's not even relaxing to be around him. I don't want to consider finding a new home for him but, it's so extreme that it's almost the only option. We cant clean multiple puddles of urine and all the other stuff every day for years.

Any advice folks might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
Tried melatonin? It's all natural and supposed to be calming. I think you can get it in either 3mg or 5mg.