Our sister sites
Our sister sites
j1steve
New Member!
Male 

02-03-2013, 09:17 PM

2 Year Old Border Collie Rescue is 1/2 Done with Heartworm Slow Kill

Hello All,
My wife and I recently adopted a 2 year old border collie mix from a rescue group. We were surprised to learn after the adoption that she was heartworm positive. We found out at our first vet visit. We were surprised that the rescue group was not aware. They have agreed to sponsor her treatment, which is a relief, but there is a problem.
We have a 9 year old border collie as well, and the two LOOOVE to play together. The new dog is crate trained, but I do not believe she will be able to endure the 6 weeks of crating necessary for the treatment. Although we provide hours of out of house time for our dogs everday, and her crate is large and comfortable, our house is just too small to isolate her from the older dog and I just do not see how it is going to be feasible.
The only clinical sign she is showing is a bit of exercise intolerance.
Before, her adoption, she spent almost 1 year at the rescue group. How she was never tested for heartworms is unknown to me, but according to her intake form, she started on Heartguard exactly 1 year ago.
Now, to my understanding, the slow kill method involves giving the dog heartworm preventive to prevent worm larvae from growing up and that the adult worms will eventually die of old age. I also understand that this can take 1-2 years. That said, what would you do in my case. Continue on the slow kill method and let her be happy and comfortable out of her kennel, or bite the bullet on go for the quick kill.
We have already begun a doxycyclene regimen so I suppose we could go either way. But since she has already been on heartguard for 1 year, to me it seems she is halfway done and is not showing heavy symptoms of heartworm disease.

Opinions please

Thanks,
S.
j1steve
New Member!
Male 

05-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Any advice?
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
I have NO experience of this which is why I never replied when I saw this here the other day but if it is working I think i would use the slow kill method and just carry on as normal, if it is not working as well as it should be then your only option is the faster method to keep your other dog safe too x
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Oh I am so sorry to hear that. I wouldn't know what you should do. If she isn't in any pain perhaps the slow kill. I am not the best one to give advice though.

I am sure another member will. Although I do think it is a personal choice.