Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
No difference ..
The term is still offensive .
Have you been personally offended by this post?

ARe you chinese?

Or are you speaking on behalf of the Country as their official spokesman?

FWIW I work with several Chinese (as well as other Asians) ALL of whom say they are ringing the Chinkie when they are ordering a takeaway for the office.

Have you got nothing better to do?
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2011, 06:54 PM
my order would be ....
1) KFC boneless meal with gravy
2) dominoes
3) chinese - usually either crispy duck, ribs, chicken fried rice or duck fried rice depending on where iv gone for it!
4) McD's
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Modified as i am going ott ...
Its a view ...
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2011, 07:02 PM
it may well be offensive to some people Murf, but it is only offensive if people who are offended by it are around to hear it ... "chinky" is a pretty common word around here when referring to take away's. and tbh, id be surprised if somebody actually took offence to it, because it is used so commonly and not in a derogatory way either. loosen up
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Whenever I am making Cottage pie I buy a large packet of mince (it's always cheaper that way) and make a pie for us and one for my sons family. Son picks it up on his way home.
On his way home from work the other day my son told his mate he was having a take away for dinner. When his mate asked what he was having Paul replied Cottage pie
His mate was so excited, wanted where he could get a cottage pie take away
Hehehe, maybe I'm missing a gap in the market here
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 07:42 PM
1. Indian
2. Chinese
3. Thai
4. Pizza (Dominoes)
5. McDonalds
6. KFC
7. Fish n' Chips

In that order.

Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
it may well be offensive to some people Murf, but it is only offensive if people who are offended by it are around to hear it ... "chinky" is a pretty common word around here when referring to take away's. and tbh, id be surprised if somebody actually took offence to it, because it is used so commonly and not in a derogatory way either. loosen up
But it can also be used in a derogatory way as racial slur...why not just say Chinese?
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2011, 08:28 PM
yes it can be used as a racial slur ... but at the end of the day its up to whoever is listening to determine whether it has been said in a derogatory manner or not, and then to obviously either take offence or not.

last point ... does it actually matter? really? the politically correct police are not going to come and shut the forum down because somebody used what is no more than a nick name for a certain type of take away.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 08:31 PM
My Fav is chinese shop is just over the road , OH is Pizza a local one called Burger Jims do an amazing one
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I think you meant Chinese ...
Chinkie is a tad old school..
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I should hope it IS old school, I consider myself very old school.

Let us remember, for the pc sensitive, I was talking about a MEAL not a NATIONALITY or PERSON!
I have to admit, growing up people in my area would say 'chinky' and 'paki' and so on and no-one actually meant any harm by it. In the same way that I have family in England who get called 'Scots' and not Scottish (or more frequently 'jocks' even though it isnt any sort of abbreviation and we are not all called 'Jock'....and probably no one would get arrested for it)

I found out years ago on a trip to London that apparently you'd get stopped by the police for saying 'Paki' (bet you wouldnt get stopped by the police for calling someone 'Jock'..maybe cos they can't say 'Jock' properly? )

Not sure what the difference is?
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Fish and chiiiiiiiips! Seconded by a big bucket of KFC with no legs in it, followed by a Chinese (if I've got room!)
LOL at your post H, I was thinking do I put down that curry I like from the indians, or that pizza I like from the chippy, or that chinese I had.... like them all!
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
My Fav is chinese shop is just over the road , OH is Pizza a local one called Burger Jims do an amazing one
on the rare occasion that i have a night out in donny, i always call in pizza jims for a pizza to take home rest of time for takeaway, i make oh drive the ten miles to donny for either chinese from taste of china, or sugar rays for my favourite bolognaise pizza. we've given up on the takeaways at south elmsall. even the indian restaurants curry had more grease than the local chippy
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >