Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Advice after diet change please

Hi, I took Toffee off Bakers after some health problems before christmas. She's very fussy & I tried several foods
before settling on Orijen - she also gets raw & cooked meat
& veg leftovers, beef jerky & a few shape bics as treats.
At first she seemed brighter & more bouncy, her appetite
increased - her bowl was emptied (unheard of before)
A month on she's put on a little weight, (I need to adjust the quantities), she's stealing food which she never did before, she has bouts of smelly wind, she's been sick a couple of times for no apparent reason.
This could be caused by the bits she's stolen or the odd horsepoo she's taken to eating lately. But I'm wondering
if, after 7 years on Bakers, it could be taking a while for
her to adjust to a new diet? could her body have become
"addicted" to the chemicals in Bakers? I'm not sure whether I should stick it out longer or try something else.
I think she has been more windy on the "senior" one than the "fish" one
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Some dogs tolerant different ingredients better than others - my two were very windy on a lamb flavoured kibble, and when I switched to raw, it soon became obvious that lamb was the culprit! They can tolerate a small amount of lamb minced in with their tripe, but if they get a rack of lamb ribs, they fart all day.

I would say your best bet is to stick to the basics - try a few days of feeding her on the fish Orijen, with no treats (you can always keep back a portion of her daily meal to give as treats). If her tummy settles, introduce another thing - maybe the senior food, and see how that goes. If the wind returns, you know it's something in the senior food. If she doesn't get windy or sick, wait a few more days and try the next thing - maybe the Shapes treats. And so on, until you can pinpoint a culprit. Even if it's just the change of food that's caused the reaction, at least by taking this approach, you're not overwhelming her digestive system with so many different things.

Different foods suit different dogs though - Orijen is a premium brand but there is the chance it just won't suit the dog, whether it's ingredients in it causing a reaction like wind or sickness, or the dog just feels constantly hungry on it. I'd give it a little while to see if she settles, but don't assume that because it's a premium brand, it will be the best food for your dog.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Oh-someone else has wind problems! I just changed Parker and Cherry from "Barking Heads salmon and potato" to "Barking Heads senior" and the wind they are emitting is disgusting! I am hoping things will settle down soon as I have a 12kg bag of the stuff!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:36 AM
There`s an awful lot of different stuff there - raw meat, cooked food, kibble ....
Why not just give her one at a time for a few days and see which one she`s best on?
It`s difficult to pinpoint which food she`s reacting to unless you limit them and observe the results.
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Oh-someone else has wind problems! I just changed Parker and Cherry from "Barking Heads salmon and potato" to "Barking Heads senior" and the wind they are emitting is disgusting! I am hoping things will settle down soon as I have a 12kg bag of the stuff!
hmm perhaps its the "senior" recipees that cause the probs,
I've put Toffee back on the Fish one this week. The other things I give her are not new to her.
She's also getting clicky joints so I want to give her suppliments, but I want to get the feeding right first, before
I add anything else.
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Just an update, Toffee's been 2 weeks back on the fish
Orijen & she's loads better. Only farty when she has the
beef jerky now. She's always hungry, but thats probably because she actually likes her food now! & I've ordered
some glaucosomine for dogs from healthspan. so hopefully we're sorted.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2011, 11:08 PM
heres a thought....theres not much difference in any kibble.....unless its hypo.grain free....imo...iv read all the backs of all the brands....same/ish.....dogs doing .good.? on a product...i use certan kibblels for cetan typs of dogs......i talk to breed specific pepole to see what there doing ,,,stuff like that....i say give them all the extras you can....stay way from filleres and corn.....there meat eaters.....and heres another thought....exersise will determine the amounts of food your dog will eat....lap dog eats less.....if that lap dog could runn when ever they want they would need to eat more....mine...they run free/fenced....eat very well and it would be a cold day in.........jamaca..if they snubbed there nose to a bowl of food they never worked for....im lucky my pack can do this ...most dont due to surroundings cant....dog are usually fed on our schedual...i feeed mine on there schedual.......some days there not active outside and dont need to eat....they dont need the energy because they did not use it.....fussy dogs in my experience..dont get much exersise.....mixing changing food for a dog must be exciting to them .....it is for mine....respectfully..phil
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by kitla View Post
hmm perhaps its the "senior" recipees that cause the probs,
I've put Toffee back on the Fish one this week. The other things I give her are not new to her.
She's also getting clicky joints so I want to give her suppliments, but I want to get the feeding right first, before
I add anything else.
Maybe because senior has less protien it may have more fillers. Just a guess.
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Orijen has no grains or fillers, its made basically from fresh fish with various fruits & veg. Its won awards for nutrition
& its bloomin expensive! but she loves it, it suits her & I hope it will keep her healthier than the awful stuff I used to
feed her. She also gets a few fresh meat scraps. If she hasnt had any more lumps,cysts,tumours etc pop up after a year on this diet I'll be happy whatever it's costing!
(Saves on vet bills in the long run anyway)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Orijen does not just come in fish variety, but meat.........