View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 02:10 PM
OH yuck,I can see why your aunt would be upset,but at the same time don't think it should matter if it's dog or pig,pigs are supposed to be very intelligent As for animal testing I have beagles who are still used for testing and I have seen a few surplus pups on the Beagle welfare site that I foster for,they have been the lucky few that aren't needed I was shocked to discover that a lot of pet food manufacturers use dogs to test on, it really is a messed up world
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Hmm....I would not have an issue eating it...as long as I did not think about it for too long.

I find this with meat in general...I have no issues eating it and I am quite careful to source from a good supplier - so I do not eat it as often as I would like...BUT - if I start thinking about it and what it used to be - it makes me feel sick....I did try being veggie, but was more unhealthy than I am now..and i do actually like meat!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I wouldn't eat it as I'm a veggie! But I do find it a tad hypocritical when meat eaters moan about what meat is on the market! I would feed the dogs reindeer if I could get it and they liked it though.
Lidl! although I suppose you'd have to check the packaging etc.

Originally Posted by EGYPTGAL View Post
OH yuck,I can see why your aunt would be upset,but at the same time don't think it should matter if it's dog or pig,pigs are supposed to be very intelligent As for animal testing I have beagles who are still used for testing and I have seen a few surplus pups on the Beagle welfare site that I foster for,they have been the lucky few that aren't needed I was shocked to discover that a lot of pet food manufacturers use dogs to test on, it really is a messed up world
Yup - I dont agree with animal testing - I was just using it as an example for a different discussion "If they are bred for that purpose, do they know any different" but thats a different one
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Tassle you are just like me,If I think about it I don't want it , but when I do an ostrich impersonation and stick my head in the sand I actually enjoy it. Lets just say if I had to kill it I would be a vegetarian again,which is very hypocritical of me i know
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 06:15 PM
I think the only issue is once it becomes commersalised numbers could dwindle and then species become endangered. Providing the numbers can be sustained why not. Many people in African countries rely very much on bush meat, but because these people are being pushed out of where they live into big cities and wanting to continue to eat bush meat, this means numbers of species decline rapidly once it becomes popular unfortunately.

I need meat in my diet, due to medical reasons but I prefer to limit the species I eat most commonly (chicken, pork;bacon/ham, beef steak and lamb). I always try and buy from places where I know the meat has come from.

Have eaten venison in the past, didn't like the taste so much.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 06:19 PM
I would eat it! but not for xmas lunch! Thats just wrong!

I LOVE Kangaroo, & i enoyed Ostrich too!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Hope they have pics of rudolph on the packaging....lol
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Hope they have pics of rudolph on the packaging....lol
MURFFFFFFF!!!!!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I would eat it and I think it's important children have a vast amount of realism when it comes to meat and how it gets too their plate. I was brought up in a very hunt/shoot/poultry keeping/stable owning type family on one side (then a bunch oh'er townies on t'otherrr ), so it was never really an issue but I remember schoolfriends being mortified when they learnt where meat came from. However my opinions on dog and cat meat are different, wouldn't eat it myself as I totally disagree with the way in which they are reared, kept and slaughtered, the fact I keep them as pets and could struggle to get my head round eating something with quite a "emotional" state (without humanising too much!), and also as someone who's family kept a pair of pigs for food once...(they didn't end up as it purely as we as children refuses ), whilst they were intelligent, came to names etc, they were no way as intune as a dog or cat. But that's a different argument all together
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I don`t see why they should be put off. I doubt Babe put anyone off pork.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >