Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suestipestalker
New Member!
Female 

11-10-2018, 11:51 PM

Sudden change and 12 yo Springer in iintermitent pain and distress

I've not posted on here in a while (8 years!) but am baffled by a sudden change in my lovely Springer and wondered if anyone could suggest what's the matter? About 2 months ago he had his cruciate ligament operated on and was recovering well. 2 weeks ago we left him at our usual and very trusted kennnels and went on hols. A few days in we got a call that he suddenly started crying in pain. He went to vets who examined but couldn't find source. Gave him pain killers and a time inflammatories.. When we got home we could see he was subdued and not himself. Back to vets twice more. Still no conclusion. He's relatively normal -goes for short walks, chases sticks, cuddles - but with much less enthusiasm and his wags are hardly there. When the pain happens it seems our of the blue and he makes awful noises, afterwards his head is right down and he wanders around the room looking lost. I think he feels cold too. He's just not right.

The vet seems baffled but equally not really trying to find out what's the matter. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2018, 01:00 PM
What tests have the vets done?

If there's no limp or obvious source of pain, I would have thought the first step would be to test his urine and stools to look for possible infection.

A blood test may also be in order
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2018, 02:15 PM
I don't think I would have him chasing sticks. This was fairly major surgery - especially for an elderly chap.
suestipestalker
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2018, 10:38 PM
Sorry, that was a typo, he likes to carry a stick, he's not allowed to chase any yet after the surgery.
suestipestalker
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2018, 10:43 PM
He's had some sort of improvement, we don't know why (although he's had tons of cuddles so it could be that!). Took him back to the vets and was more direct with my questions. She says x-ray first to see if there is something wrong in his spine and after that it would probably be his brain. No mention of other tests though, so I'll ask about the infection ones.

I really thought he was at the end of his life, but this turnaround has given me hope.
suestipestalker
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Thanks both for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it ��
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2018, 11:48 PM
I hope he has turned the corner now, and continues to make steady progress.