View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2008, 06:06 PM

Do you think commercial Greyhound Racing should be abolished?

Healthy debate only please, your thoughts being justified by cultural beliefs and facts.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I personally think it should be abolished as a commercial industry yes.
I feel that overall, the dogs are simply `tools`, though no doubt there are racing dog owners who do genuinely love their dogs and treat them well.
However, the sheer numbers of dogs killed for not being `good enough` or for the `crime` of being injured or too old to race any more, or dumped for rescue`s to deal with while the lesser elements in the industry just churn out more is reprehensible and immoral to me.

Do the dogs love to run ?
Many do, yes.
During a career, are they usually given the best vet and nutritional care ?
Mostly yes, [ for the one`s doing well at least ], because like an engine they have to be properly maintained.
For the ones not making the grade though it`s often a very different and dreadful story.

When the industry of a sport and the money in it is more important than the lives of the dogs, that`s when its gone too far and I believe it went too far a long time ago.

If there was no money it allowed so that only those who truly love it as a hobby would continue, like in Agility and Flyball for instance, [ which I hope never get more `status` so that they don`t become industries like Greyhound racing ], the sheer numbers of dogs bred then killed for not being `up to par` would decrease dramatically - because it would`nt be financially viable to keep doing so, and that I believe would be the most viable way of improving the welfare of the dogs because they would no longer be `tools`, they would be pets whose owners enjoy letting them race for the pleasure of those dogs running in purely friendly competition with other hobbyists, without the dogs very lives depending on them winning.
mucky_pup
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I personally think it should be abolished as a commercial industry yes.
I feel that overall, the dogs are simply `tools`, though no doubt there are racing dog owners who do genuinely love their dogs and treat them well.
However, the sheer numbers of dogs killed for not being `good enough` or for the `crime` of being injured or too old to race any more, or dumped for rescue`s to deal with while the lesser elements in the industry just churn out more is reprehensible and immoral to me.

Do the dogs love to run ?
Many do, yes.
During a career, are they usually given the best vet and nutritional care ?
Mostly yes, [ for the one`s doing well at least ], because like an engine they have to be properly maintained.
For the ones not making the grade though it`s often a very different and dreadful story.

When the industry of a sport and the money in it is more important than the lives of the dogs, that`s when its gone too far and I believe it went too far a long time ago.

If there was no money it allowed so that only those who truly love it as a hobby would continue, like in Agility and Flyball for instance, [ which I hope never get more `status` so that they don`t become industries like Greyhound racing ], the sheer numbers of dogs bred then killed for not being `up to par` would decrease dramatically - because it would`nt be financially viable to keep doing so, and that I believe would be the most viable way of improving the welfare of the dogs because they would no longer be `tools`, they would be pets whose owners enjoy letting them race for the pleasure of those dogs running in purely friendly competition with other hobbyists, without the dogs very lives depending on them winning.
I agree fully with the above comments as an owner of two greyhounds both ex racers the youngest being dumped for breaking her toe on the first race and not being able to get the speed required to win races.Would you expect a sprinter to come off the blocks with no warm up and not do themselves some sort of injury because thats what trainers expect of there greyhounds.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

25-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Absolutely it should be banned, any industry that produces waste as thisone does is obviously inefficiently run and not concerned about what itoverproduces and that’s what it is an industry not a sport.

Of course the successful dogs are given vet care if necessary, but as hasbeen said those that are not earning their keep are not going to be spentmoney on. It would not be economical to do so., just as a farmer wouldtreat an old or worn out sheep – that’s what these dogs are basically islittle money earners for their short lives.

Yes you will indeed hear owners saying I do my very best to find these dogsa home after they’ve run their hearts out for me – but is that really goodenough? Would those people who have no feelings either way look at theirdog in that way, well Fido you’ve served your purpose as a plaything nowyou’re too old so we’ll try and get you a home but if not well ………………………

Of course those in the industry will also say no its all lies, there is nothing wrong with the industry and all those greyhounds that are notaccounted for are sitting on someone’s sofa somewhere (must be a ruddy bigsofa). That those found slaughtered are not from the industry at all –what they just fell from the sky did they? All those in rescue – why?Also why set up the RGT if greyhounds are not seen as disposablecommodities?

They will also ignore or try to question the governmentreports on the subject of greyhound racing and greyhound welfare, why if there is nothing to hide? Yet dog lovers everywhere are asking what canthe government or anyone do about puppy farmers – but not about the overbreeding of greyhounds.

Anyone bringing up the welfare issues, which even some in the industry have admitted to, will result in name calling – anyone who actually cares what happens to these dogs are tree hugging bunny loving political nutters – why because most of those who run these dogs do not comprehend how anyone cansee them as anything other than profit machines and if the machines aintworking get rid of it.

These are not people who see owning a dog as aprivilege that you have for that dog’s life – just its profitable life.

Now it may appear a generalisation and maybe it is, there are a few good owners out there, but their voices are being drowned by those in the industry who want no change to the system whatsoever, they want the continued over breeding regardless of how many do not make it to the trackjust in the hope they get one winner and no questions about the welfare bought up at all.

People are up in arms about the over breeding of dogsin this country by puppy farmers and the excess of dogs in rescue – but its ok for this breed to be exploited in this way?

There are those in the industry who want change, want less racing, safertracks etc. are those voices heard? No they are again considered strange because they care for the dogs over the profit and entertainment. Question any of the welfare issues and the abuse can get very personal and immediately jumped on wherever they air they’re views, its supposed to beswept under the carpet, especially on the racing forums.

I believe that one day commercial greyhound racing will be seen by most of society as pretty much the same as the circus, exploiting animals forentertainment and profit – although I’m sure when people were against elephants in circuses, bears in baiting etc they were also called treehugging nutters – but thank god they didn’t let small minded people who seeany animal as exploitable put them off sticking up for those who cannotstick up for themselves.

It’s not a political issue at all it’s a dogslife that’s the issue.

I have no problem with fun racing, lure coursing it’s the large scale overproduction and exploitation of this breed that I have a problem with.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I agree that it should be abolished for the reasons already stated. The racing itself I don't see a problem with - greyhounds love to run - but the 'industry- and those involved are cruel beyond belief.

I went to university at Durham and at one of the colleges they organise a night out at the greyhound racing once a term. I boycotted that event and told all my friends how cruel the industry is. A fair few of them didn't go once they realised what went on and how the dogs were treated.

However, the college still runs the night out
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Have to agree,I'm for abolishing too.If they wont abolish I'd prefer punters bets to include a fee (a high one at that)to help fund Greyhound rescues to look after these lovely dogs when and if they are needed to be rescued,xxxxxxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Have to agree,I'm for abolishing too.If they wont abolish I'd prefer punters bets to include a fee (a high one at that)to help fund Greyhound rescues to look after these lovely dogs when and if they are needed to be rescued,xxxxxxxx
Well put, they love to run yes, but once they are injured or too old they end up being 'thrown on the rubbish heap'
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Totally agree with all former comments.
Thank you for taking your time to speak for these wonderful passive creatures who are continually exploited by the greyhound racing industry in their 10's of thousands.
Is no one going to even attempt to defend this industry?
Can not a single member say anything positive about this so called 'sport'?
NO?
Not surprising really, when you are faced with people who can defend themselves, the greyhounds and speak out against the industry.
No.....we are not the harmless voiceless animals who you control, work, abuse, slaughter and exploit because of your sheer greed for money.

Well I had better go back to hugging my tree, looking at my hairy legs and arm pits, looking for a lesbian lover and collecting my dole........
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Well said , cant add anything further tbh, xdk
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2008, 10:50 PM
It has all been said. Abolition, yes.

Snorri
Page 1 of 157 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 > Last »