Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Lameness

Skye worries me considerably. A few years ago she had an injury which resulted in numerous blood tests & x-rays. All was ok. She had soft tissue damage to her back. Near her back legs.
She was on metocam for a while and she had physio for a few months.
The only problem with Skye is she's a runner. I think she's just worn herself out, she'll be 4 in November.
Shes very quiet lately and looks very depressed. If i manipulate her back or legs she shows no discomfort. If she runs too much she will be lame for a while.
Basically she's going to have to stay on the lead for a while. If i go to the vets she is given metocam which makes her run round the house like a looney.
Shes nearly 4 going on 14 I can't work out whether she's just feeling low or whether her back is getting her down. But shes more than capable of running out of the dog flap into the garden.
If i take her to the vets, how do i explain shes not her normal self.
It just wories me because she doesn't look happy. When i ask her if shes ok she wags her tail

There worst than kids. No wonder i have to dye my hair
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Sorry, have no advice for you, but I know how frustrating it can be when you know something isn't quite right but can't pin point what.

A good vet should listen to your concerns as they should appreciate that you know your own dog better than anyone - but even then, finding the cause isn't always easy.

I would suggest that you keep a diary/record of exactly what happens and when...any little detail may help the diagnosis.

I know she's only young, but is there any chance it is arthritis (although I would have thought if this was the case, she would have shown discomfort when you manipulate her legs).

It may be worth visiting the physiotherapist again - they may be able to pin point something which the vet can't.

I hope you get her sorted
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks for your reply. It is difficult, to know exactly what is wrong. If there is? She's definately not right.
I'm going to see how she goes after a few weeks staying on the lead.
Its a good idea to keep a diary
Thanks again X
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2007, 02:36 PM
There is a wonderful chiropratitioner for dogs called Helen Lightfoot, she works on a lot of sibes etc, it may be worth contacting her, if I remember rightly she lives in staffordshire.

Mo