View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
benlinboxerdogs
New Member!

23-02-2005, 05:40 PM

White boxers - deafness / breeding

I have quite a few boxers one being white, with a brindle patch, in over 20 years of being connected with Boxer's I have never come across a deaf white. Yes it is true years ago the whites were killed within a few days with advise from Vets as then it was thought that all white boxers were born with the deaf gene since then with new technology white boxers are now becoming part of the home. But I would never breed from any white. Like it or lump it if you want to show you have to abide by the breed standard as set down by the breed council, not the KC. My white baby is big boned and although looks a big bruiser and a loveable one too he is not as the breed standard says.

I breed boxers and it is not just a case of throwing a bitch and a dog together and rub our hands with the prospect of a litter on it's way, there is the bloodline to consider, the heart score, the bitch's welfare, out of our last litter of 6 we kept four, for show purposes. The KC is encouraging responsible breeders to be a part of the accredited breeder scheme which separates those who have a dog and a bitch and mate every time she comes into season and also from the puppy farmers. they have to have DNA profile, microchipped / tatto. My food bill for the week tops over £100.00 per week, they get the best of everything. The white is treated no different from the show ones. He may be white but he is still a boxer and he has signs of being deaf unless it suits him.

I am not advocating all people who breed dogs are responsible, I do not know them all I am speaking just on my behalf.

There is nothing wrong with anyone buying a white boxer, and even those that are born deaf can easily be trained just as good as the hearing one. 3 legged dogs get round just as good as 4 legged ones so why not white boxers deaf or otherwise.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

23-02-2005, 05:50 PM
am I the only person who is fed up with all these threads about white boxers?
I think the subject has been thrashed over and over and there is substantial evidence to suggest that white dogs (not just boxers) are more susceptible to skin disorders and deafness (read the links I posted in the other topic) but every time It is discussed the white boxer owners get defensive and say that its not true, why is that? Is it that the eyes dont want to see? or the ears dont want to hear? or is it a bit of both?
Is there nothing else people would like to debate?

Maybe I should think up a really controversial topic to get everyone talking about something new cos all these white boxer and staffie threads are getting tiresome, and I own a white boxer and staffies lol lol
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi Benlinboxerdogs welcome to Dogweb
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-02-2005, 06:34 PM
CBT you say and have said that white boxers should not be bred from... i agree but what about your breeding you are breeding merle into bull bloods a colour not natural in bull bloods ...what about the health hazards related to merle deafness , blindness ,,reproduction probs plus it is a dominant recessive gene why breed merle if you are against white boxers being bred at least they are keeping their health probs in white boxers not passing them to other breeds
CBT
Dogsey Senior

23-02-2005, 06:46 PM
what a load of rubbish!!!
merle only causes health problems if you breed merle to merle (which no responsible breeder would ever consider doing anyway!!!)
You obviously dont know very much about the merle gene otherwise you would know that it is not in itself harmful its only when you breed merle to white or to merle that you get problems
there are plenty of breeds which have merle such as border collies, great danes, daschunds, aussie shepherds etc why dont you ask any breeders of those breeds if you dont believe me and maybe consider reading up a bit about genetics before you make any more silly comments like that
CBT
Dogsey Senior

23-02-2005, 06:52 PM
PS there is no such thing as a "dominant recessive" as you put it
merle is an incomplete dominant which means it is only problematic when 2 merles are bred together.
As for introducing health problems well that is complete twaddle, American staffs and catahoula leopard dogs are 2 of the healthiest working breeds you will find in the states, they suffer far less of the hip eye and heart problems you see in Uk breeds.
The merles I bred were for a select group of interested people and I have no pups available for the general public, I doubt if I will for some time to come so I dont think you need to worry about me "introducing health problems" into any breeds, the dogs I have are my own and when you are on to a good thing it pays not to share it with every Tom Dick and harry who wants to cash in
Meg
Supervisor

23-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by CBT
am I the only person who is fed up with all these threads about white boxers?
I think the subject has been thrashed over and over and there is substantial evidence to suggest that white dogs (not just boxers) are more susceptible to skin disorders and deafness (read the links I posted in the other topic) but every time It is discussed the white boxer owners get defensive and say that its not true, why is that? Is it that the eyes dont want to see? or the ears dont want to hear? or is it a bit of both?.
Is there nothing else people would like to debate?
No you are not the only one CBT I am shortly going to start a thread entitled ''O my god they are breeding white Schnauzers shall I kill myself now cos I can't stand it "
CBT
Dogsey Senior

23-02-2005, 07:07 PM
mini
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-02-2005, 07:17 PM
The popular belief is that heterozygous merles MMM+ are quite normal. However Hannover workers showed eye problems in merle,sperm imperfections and impaired hearing problems .These problems were found in homozygous merles and also heterozygous merles.Hearing faults range from complete deafness to slight hardness of hearing occured in 56.6% of homozygous merles and 36.8% of heterozygous merles .Based on this work and on their own work on eye failing klinchmann suggested restricting breeding of merles on welfare grounds . This means that the long held belief that MMMM dogs had problems but not MMM+ is not true and thus merle is a gene that would be better eliminated as a defect and certainly not introduced to new breeds where it does not exist

the dogs I have are my own and when you are on to a good thing it pays not to share it with every Tom Dick and harry who wants to cash in says it all
Meg
Supervisor

23-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by minty
The popular belief is that heterozygous merles MMM+ are quite normal. However Hannover workers showed eye problems in merle,sperm imperfections and impaired hearing problems .These problems were found in homozygous merles and also heterozygous merles.Hearing faults range from complete deafness to slight hardness of hearing occured in 56.6% of homozygous merles and 36.8% of heterozygous merles .Based on this work and on their own work on eye failing klinchmann suggested restricting breeding of merles on welfare grounds . This means that the long held belief that MMMM dogs had problems but not MMM+ is not true and thus merle is a gene that would be better eliminated as a defect and certainly not introduced to new breeds where it does not exist

the dogs I have are my own and when you are on to a good thing it pays not to share it with every Tom Dick and harry who wants to cash in says it all
sorry minty been a long day
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >