Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rayemond
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2005, 04:05 PM

Sudden lameness in hind legs - please help

I'm worried . . . my dog is a three and a half year old castrated dobie. No past health problems.

When he got up this morning he was limping on his left hind leg, and holding it up. Definitely the left leg. Seemed happy apart from that - eating, wagging his tail etc. I didn't walk him this morning, hoping it was a temporary problem, like maybe he'd slept on it funny or something. I've felt the leg - there aren't any sore spots. I've flexed all the joints whilst he was lying on the sofa - he didn't try to pull away or show any signs of pain or discomfort - just carried on snoozing. I've checked his pads and in between his toes - looks fine, no wounds or grass-seeds or anything.

He's been sleeping on the sofa for most of the day, and seems reluctant to get up. I just encouraged him to get off so I could check on his leg. Now it seems that he's limping on the right one rather than the left one! I'm guessing that there is a problem with both legs, but it's more pronouced in one at a time.

Yesterday he was fine on and after his walk, and didn't do anything unusually energetic or anything that could have harmed him. However, last night his hind legs were trembling slightly for a while when he was curled up on the sofa. This has happened occasionally recently, and I've always just assumed that he is cold and shivering - could it be a symptom of some problem? It was happening on walks too, but that really does seem to be shivering as it's mostly stopped since I've got him a coat. They're not trembling now - he's curled up beside me.

I didn't call the vet this morning as I assumed it was a temporary, unimportant thing but now I'm worried that it could be something serious. I can't get a vet appointment not until monday.

Can somebody please give me some advice? I'm really worried.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2005, 04:37 PM
i dont know but all i can say is i hope it gets seen to soon, try not to worry too much, i know its easier said than done and all my hugs for you and your boy....((((((((((((((())))))))))))
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Sorry no advice,but I hope he is better soon,good luck at the vets.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2005, 08:41 PM
i just wondered if when hes out walking off lead he might have sprained or pulled a muscle,?you know a sort of now it hurts now it deosnt sort of thing, i've noticed with gemma sometimes when we've had an overnight frost the grass is slippery and as shes running about sometimes one of her back feet loses its footing (if you know what i mean)and i suppose its poss to pull a muscle like that,but i think in your position unless something really alarming happens why not just let him rest over the weekend and see what you think on monday then decide if you need a vet.........................and probly a huge bill try not to worry too much , keep us posted .
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi Rayemond welcome to Dogweb. There could be any number of things wrong with your dogs leg from a simple sprain to cruciate ligament problems..(we seem to have had a lot of those on here recently).

I think it is best not to speculate. If you have gently checked the paw and leg and there is no obvious damage I would rest the paw as much as you can with absolutely no jumping up on anything and see what the vet says on Monday, waiting until then should do no harm, if it is only a sprain it may have gone by then.
Let us know how you get on...
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I'd keep a close eye on him over the weekend and not let him try to run about or jump too much and get him to the vet. Hope he is okay.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Sorry you have joined us with this problem but it could be anyone of a number of things and impossible to speculate without being able to see the dog. At his age it could be almost anything apart from juvenile problems.

Till you see the vet keep him as quite as possible, only short lead walks if you have to take him out at all and definitely no stairs or steps. Hope it turns out to be a temporary problem but if he develops any other symptoms then I would get back to the vet.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Take him to the vets as recommended - it could be something minor, but it is best to get these things checked out.

I am in no way trying to be alarmist, but my dog Ozzy started off this way and I thought it wasn't anything to worry about and he is need of an op asap.

Your dog may just have pulled a muscle and I hope that is the case, but for sheer peace of mind please get it checked out.