register for free

Dog News

Portuguese water dog is the pooch to watch at Westminster

...has received 102 comments (page 6)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2015, 11:35 AM
There you are peeps! Out of the mouths of babes!!

Myra has a point here ... Meg, your remark about the e collar was snide and childish, no need to bring that up. Yet you and many others constantly keep bringing this up whenever you can ... it diminishes you. The e collar has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Matisse, so why bring it up?

I haven't protested too much about these constant snide referrals to my use of an e collar several years ago on Ben. But Myra has made me realise that I jolly well should protest ... so I am!!

Now lets kiss and make friends again. Dogsey is so much nicer a place to be than it was, so let's keep it that way.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-02-2015, 11:54 AM
But mate you must be an expert because you know exactly how the dog lives and what he does and doesn't do and whether or not he's happy all because he stood for appraisal with a funny perm a couple of times

That ecollar comment was below the belt though.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2015, 12:46 PM
ke Jackies Figo. They don't look like the dog in the pictures. His hair is really long mostly, has no sheen, and he looks dirty and smelly. He's absolutely cute in the face,
Is that comment directed towards Figo, because he is neither dirty or smelly, how you can possibly come up with that statement is beyond me, and quiet insulting.
Meg
Supervisor

18-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher
One of the saddest things I ever heard was about the dog who won crufts a couple of years ago, I believe. It was a llasa apso or a Shi tzu or similar, and the owner glibly said he was never allowed to get dirty or muddy! I was absolutely appalled.
Gnasher
there are far worse things that happen to dogs than being denied outside freedom.

Originally Posted by MrBulldog
I disagree Mr Bulldog, Gnasher said 'one of the saddest things she ever heard' was a dog not being allowed to roll in the mud (and we do not know if this is the case anyway) and Jackie said there are worse things and I agree, using e collars on a dog is a worse thing to me. Nothing below the belt there just something I personally feel...
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2015, 12:50 PM
I refuse to argue. Clearly you didn't read the entire post and are only trying to argue. I'm done. Totally done.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-02-2015, 12:57 PM
but allowed to behave as naturally as possible, which he is. He is a water dog, and lives quarter of a mile from one of the most amazing beaches in Devon, and is walked for 6 miles every day, swims every day, and has a thoroughly good and natural life.
And I know the dog you are talking about

I don't need to be an expert on Porties to know which dog leads the better life. Poor Matisse has probably never been allowed to act out his breed nature - let us hope now that he is being retired he will live a more natural life.
Nikki , that is an extremely unfounded statement, given you done know anything about about Matisse, all you have done is let your prejudice against show dogs distort your viewpoint on a dog because he is in show condition.

Given I have seen this dog on another site regularly, I can tell you he lives a perfectly normal life .

You assume because he is clean clipped and a show dog, he leads a terrible life, how closed minded is that!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by MrBulldog
I agree with Meg, it was relevant to Gnashers distaste to show dogs, saying because a dog is not allowed to role in mud, its one of the saddest things she has heard, Myself and Meg see it differently, using an e.collar on a dog has to be up their with one of the worse things, dogs living their life tied out on a chain, giving them no human contact, starvation, and so many other horrendous things people do to their animals.

As Gnashes keeps informing us, we are allowed an opinion, and that`s mine, its rather ironic to suggest show dogs are not allowed to live natural lives, when one uses one of the most unnatural things in the world to get your beloved pet to obey you.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2015, 01:05 PM
But absolutely no reason whatsoever to bring it up Meg ... completely out of the blue like that. It happens constantly, don't think I am stupid enough not to know what is going on.

And I do think ... knowing the little Portie in Devon ... that IF Matisse is not allowed to roll in the mud, get covered in sand, act like the water dog he is, then I think that is INCREDIBLY sad! I don't believe that dogs should be our playthings, our toys, to manipulate, to dress up in stupid clothes, to make look ridiculous with blowdries and whatnot. Dogs are our companions, kindred spirits, pack animals like us. Unlike us though, dogs give us their devoted loyalty, even when we are cruel to them.

I will say it again - I think Matisse looks ridiculous. I would much rather see him in a dog show looking normal, like a normal dog. I would apply this to every breed btw, so I am not being breedist against Matisse. I would have a lot more respect for the show world if it was more about the dogs, and less about the owners' likes and wishes.

Using an e collar comes nowhere near IMO to the degree of humiliation reaped on a noble dog like Matisse - a dog bred to work with fishermen - not to be primped, and permed and ****** about with.

I just hope his owners allow him to leave a more normal life in his retirement. Underneath that crazy haircut, he is probably a beautiful dog.

Mr Bulldog, I have already stated that the only PWD I know is the little guy in Devon. I said I was no expert ... all I can do, and am qualified to do, is to state how for the 10 days we were in this cottage, that lovely PWD had the most amazing walks on a 3 mile long beach every day, during which he ran free in and out of the surf, rolled in rockpools and came back absolutely covered in sand and salt! A quick swim in the ford and a rubdown with a towel was all he got, but his owner did groom him regularly to stop him getting knotted and tangled. That is all the primping that ANY dog needs, including show dogs! Knots and matts are indeed bad, I am not saying they are good, but NO dog needs this ridiculous and anthropomorphic poncing about with ... IMO.

Thanx for your comment about the e collar being below the belt. I am used to it, it is flung in my face at every opportunity, which gets very tiresome I have to say. It is totally pointless though, because I will never change my mind about the value of what we did. How can I when it was so successful?

The proof of the pudding is always in the eating.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-02-2015, 01:08 PM
The e collar has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Matisse, so why bring it up?
No it doesn't , but what it is relevant to, is your comment on what you find "sad" for a dog to have to endure, a dog that cant roll in mud, or a dog that has to wear an e.collar, I know which is worse, my opinion, your differs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-02-2015, 01:11 PM
would much rather see him in a dog show looking normal, like a normal dog. I would apply this to every breed btw,
What do you class as normal??
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top