register for free

Dog News

Police dog bites unarmed man while on floor

Avon and Somerset Police tonight said it would launch an investigation after the dog sunk its teeth into the shirtless man's neck.

Video footage shows the shirtless man lying face down in the road after he was arrested by police officers.

Avon and Somerset Police tonight said it was investigating the incident, which took place in Weston-super-Mare.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...es-man-3505376

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the investigation.

Your comments and views:
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Er....they're trained to go on the bite, so hardly surprising that the dog did what it was trained to do.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2014, 09:24 AM
True, and as was said in the article, "The YouTube clip is only a few seconds long and doesn't show events before or after the arrest."

I wonder if the person who took the video clip was one of the people involved in the fight, and whether this incident was deliberate in order to try to draw attention away from the reason the police were called.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-05-2014, 09:33 AM
the police would not bring a dog into the equation without very good reason, they have to call them in from wherever they happen to be, and wait for them to arrive, then there is a warning issued that the dog will be released, then they are warned yet again, before the dog actually goes to do the job its been trained to do.
If he got bitten, serves him right, there doesn't seem to be any sort of ultimate deterrent nowadays, people do as they please, laugh in the face of the police and then complain when the police do their job. If you KNEW without a shadow of a doubt you'd get bitten if the dog was brought in, then more than likely you would stop being a pr@t before that happened. Now another claim for compensayshun, and the poor dog will more than likely be pts
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2014, 09:55 AM
I doubt the dog will be PTS it will be put into further training I would imagine. While they are trained to bite they are trained to bite at the right moment and release when told. I can't view the piece in question but if the dog bit after the man was subdued then it does need further training as they are trained not to do that. If they weren't they would be unable to be taken home by the handlers so something here has gone wrong. Much as I like the idea a quick bite might make people think twice before reoffending the idea a dog could just bite when not required to do so is a serious problem.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Well I see it like this - if the miscreant didn't have any CLOTHES on his upper torso for the dog to hang onto ???

Just watched that (shortest vid in history - does make me wonder what might have been chopped off before the dog bite?) and seems to me if he'd 'stayed down' as he was told - it wouldn't have happened.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-05-2014, 10:02 AM
LOL Pat, maybe his man boobs
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Not funny I know (but it made me smile) when I tried to find more info about this story (not that I don't believe every word of rags like Daily Mirror) the second story to come up was MAN BITES NECK OF DOG TRYING TO KILL HIM.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Hopefully the man will go for retraining as well in that case!
SharonS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Well I think this says it all - as the police suspect lifts his chest up the dog gets more agitated and approaches him. Maybe he should have kept still as the police advise you too! and at the end of the day if he hadn't been commiting a crime, he wouldn't have been in that position to start with...my sympathies are with the police handler who is now probably worried sick what is going to happen to his beloved dog.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top