register for free

Dog News

Campaign launched to combat dog mess blight on farmland

...has received 59 comments (page 4)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 10:02 AM
There is no obligation to walk on farmland though is there astle? You have the choice.

Farmers don't tell you how you should keep your garden and grounds!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Agree Tang, what they keep on their land is their business and we are lucky to have access. Also foot and mouth ? it's spread by animals and people so walking from farm to farm we could be putting the animals at risk ourselves.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 10:26 AM
It's not just farmland that can be full of perils. A lot of NT land too is littered with barbed wire. Again, my feeling is that the onus is on the DOG OWNER to keep their animal safe. And also to make sure their animal does not present a danger to livestock (or other dogs and people for that matter).

Yes I lived in the West Country during the F&M outbreaks. Whole swathes of countryside declared off limits then.

And hey - the dog owners survived!

Goodness the world is not your oyster for walking dogs here in Cyprus. Yet I manage to find lovely places where I can walk my dog in safety every day and where she won't be a nuisance or cause distress to livestock or other people.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Again completely agree Tang, we rarely use farm land ourselves plenty of far safer options IMO and that's safer for our dogs and the livestock.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 10:39 AM
I've been chased by cows! Arghh! When I wasn't with a dog!

I've also been bitten and trodden on by horses lol!

I keep my dog well away from any perceived danger to her. I take her down to see the donkeys but am careful not to let her get close enough to be kicked by them (even if they do seem pleased to see her lol!)

As soon as I spot the goats - even in the far distance - on goes her lead if she was off it.

Hell I do keep telling her that not even all the CATS are her friends!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 10:48 AM
LOL mine love to chase swans - so leads and safe distance every time.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 01:07 PM
I dont, and never will have a problem with picking up or stick and flicking where appropriate. I am merely trying to rationally point out that there is an awful lot of exaggeration surrounding the myth that you will go blind if you ingest dog poo. It is true that the toxicara worm found in cat and dog poo can cause blindness but it is as rare as hens teeth - not the massive risk that we would be led to believe . This does not mean that I am in any way sneering at the seriousness of even 1 child going blind, im just trying to be balanced here and unhysterical. I dislike hysteria and exaggeration.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Yeah Nikki, but its the info about the damage to cows in calf thats important as well, it is a fact and something be aware of. The guy on TV was a farmer and had no idea why his cows were aborting till it was shown that it was HIS OWN dogs poo that were the root cause
Did you get my email, not heard from you
baranduin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2014, 07:37 PM
The parasite is Neospora, and it causes abortions in cows which have to be slaughtered as their calves if they have a live one are infected as well. My friend sold some VERY expensive heifers to the south of England-- much sought after pedigrees --and they were found to have Neospora. so she tested her own --never having heard of this before and 3 of them have it out of 8. she is paying the purchaser of the cows the difference between what he paid and the meat value.
Her dogs are free but she blames it on lurcher men lamping on the farm. BTW the dogs get it from consuming aborted material.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 08:30 PM
No tw not received nuffin!
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top