Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Yellow bile

Hi,

My 6 month old terrier puppy has a issue with being sick early morning yellow bile. She isn't ill from it. I read that this is cause her stomach is empty and have been giving her more food at night and a little snack before bed. The sick still occurs but it did reduce. But just now she was sat on my knee and she started being sick the bile again. I took her downstairs and saw more sick on the floor. She has her breakfast around 7.30 but has treats when she goes to the toilet as part of her toilet training.

Is this a case of her needing to eat little and often or is there a more serious situation here?

Thanks
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Mollie has done this all her life we stop it by keeping a biscuit in the bedroom and giving it to her when she wakes up, and then her breakfast once we are up and about. She also has 3 meals a day so she has something in her tummy all day stopping it happening during the day.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Hello Lizzie Is your puppy healthy in every other way has she been regularly wormed.

My current dog Chloe who is now 5 years old has always a problem with acid reflux but thankfully she has improved with age. As a puppy she used to vomit at about 5am .

At 6 months your puppy can drop to 2 meals a day but if it has reflux I would split the daily allowance into three giving the last meal as late as possible . Chloe has biscuits at 10.30pm.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 03:23 PM
With loads of trial and error I have split my dogs two main meals into 4 and the yellow bile that I was greeted with every morning has completely stopped. They have larger meal at 07.30ish, then the remainder at about midday. Then at about 4.00 they have a larger meal and the remainder of that at about 8. Then just before bed, one of my dogs has a couple of bits of kibble the other one has a small handful. On the rare occasion that the dog who is susceptible to the reflux problem wakes at 5 in the morning, I simply give him another small handful of food and he goes straight back to bed.

It is a pain and it took me ages to work out the best feeding regime but now I've found it I wouldn't change it for anything.

Good luck.
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks, yes she is fully wormed and healthy. She has just been spayed but as I say it has been happening for a while. I will try giving her more meals.
My other dog also suffers with this, with him a bit of yoghurt has done the trick.

Thanks for the advice I am so happy it isn't serious!

Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2013, 08:26 AM
We are on holiday at the moment and Bailiie has been being sick with this yellow bile since we got here (only in the mornings at around 5.30-6.00) - we've been here since Friday She's not normally like this at home
I've given her a few of her kibble this morning after she was sick (at 5.30) and she settled back in bed until 8.25am
Yesterday I tried to make sure she had little and often in the hope she wouldn't get up but her whole routine seems upside down at the minute, probably because we are doing different things.
If it carries on when we get home and return to normal I'll be ringing the vet but otherwise with what I've read on here and other forums, I'm not too worried as in herself she's her usual bouncy self.
She's been on the beach and in the sea and for nice walks so I'm thinking its all because of the change in scenery, excitement etc....