Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalesman
New Member!
Male 

09-05-2013, 09:01 AM

New member (itchy dog)

Hi everyone,
We moved to France for Derbyshire nine years ago and now have four rescued dogs.
We found Dogsey through a search for antihistamines for dogs as we are currently having 'itchy' problems with two of our dogs.
Any advice would be most welcome.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Hello. Itchy dogs could have many causes. The first thing I'd want to rule out would be fleas or other external parasites. Once that has been done... check for rashes or itchy looking skin.

Mange caused by invisible mites can cause bad itching. As can allergies. The vet can do a skin scrape to check for mange mites etc.

Once that is ruled out, time to check the diet for anything that might be causing hives. Eliminate certain meats etc. one at a time for a while and see if the itching begins to subside or stop.

Also, my dog began itching like crazy when I used Frontline Plus flea and tick drops on him. I don't recommend Frontline because of this... also because it's far too strong chemical wise and costly as well.

If you want the same medicine, you can use Fipoguard, as it has the same ingredient, but not as much. I did this, and my puppy has no flea or ticks and isn't itching like crazy either! I now prefer homeopathic flea and tick prevention but for puppies... the drops are needed.

Dogs can also scratch in boredom in anxiety. ensure the dog is stimulated enough and gets nice long walks, for age and size. Also, carpet powders or something the dog might have rolled in or have been bathed with could also be causing the problems. Itching is always a tricky one.. good luck!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2013, 09:37 AM
I live in Somerset and this lady runs a small business in the neighbouring village and as i understand it has had great success with her natural products. I've only ever used her balm on insect bites and stuff (for myself) and found it quite good. Worth a look on her website and I think she's quite happy to discuss problems over the phone.

http://www.karenruggles.co.uk/

Sorry also wanted to say she has an online shop! You don't have to visit Somerset!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Welcome to Dogsey.
kimrogers09
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi! Welcome from me and Chloe. I am also a new member, joined a few days ago, same as you looking for help on google led me here. Everyone just seems so friendly, willing to help with advice, and they are all mad about their dogs as well. Anyway, to the point. When I took Chloe to the vet last week for her jabs also spoke to her about the "dandruff" she has on her back and scratching (def' has no fleas vet checked) because she's itching. Vet told me it was her diet as I feed her a fair amount of my food. Vet said to just keep her on dog food, no human food! Must admit she is still not happy and have been researching the more natural dog foods available. Quite a few kind people here have responded and Wainwrights and JWB seem to be very popular choices.
Waiting for JWB to arrive will let you know of any success (or otherwise!).

bye
Kim & Chloe x
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Welcome to Dogsey both of you!
JILLIE123
New Member!
Female 

09-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Welcome...I had a Bichon years ago, who was basically allergic to all grasses and trees and even cotton and feathers. He was so itchy that he would scratch himself raw. He was on Prednisone a lot for this, please be careful if you have to use this medication on your dog. My Bichon developed Cushings Disease from it, after several years having to use this steroid to calm him down with the scratching. Maybe there are new medications now on the market that don't have the same side effects. I did the allergy shots for awhile, but he was so upset having to do this, I stopped. I know it is very hard living with dogs that scratch morning, noon, and night, and you welcome any relief just to have some peace. If it continues, you might have to have allergy testing done to see exactly what is causing this reaction. It could also be food, but to rule a lot of this out, you might have to go through the testing to determine what it is.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Hi
Welcome to Dogsey

Our Boxers are allergic to grass in the growing season, as now. We also have a young cat and there is nothing in her environment and food that she isn't allergic to so you are in good company here for itchy dogs (and cats)
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Welcome! Itching is a minefield! Tonks is allergic to Dust and storage mites. So is not allowed upstairs as apparently there are far more dust mites upstairs than downstairs. She is fed now fed on Wafcol Salmon and potato because there was some itching left even though most of it had been eliminated by having her on Atopica, antihistamines (cant remember what ones sorry), a very low dose of a steroid called medrone (every other day), and having her anal glands removed. The vet felt that she that be allergic to chicken...and the change has stopped the last of the bottom scratching. She also has an equafleece jumper that she wears when out walking as she loves to hurtle through the undergrowth and gets pustules if the branches/thorns scratch her skin. She is also supposed to be bath three times a week with a shampoo which should Ben left on for 15 minutes before being washed off...but TBH with 2 very small children and a partner who is away 6 days a week....that doesn't happen very often.