View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 05:57 PM
I never give any of my dogs anything like this since one nearly choked to death on one

Glad that the Vet is not over concerned about Jack.
Give him a cuddle from me (Jack, not the Vet )
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Bitkin.....that must have been so scarey! and for you too Nippy! We had a near miss with a rawhide chew years ago, with my other terrier. Luckily I managed to grab it and drag it from his throat.
I'd never given them pigs ears before and I honestly can't think what possessed me .......never again!

Lucky star......I don't know about Jack being dehydrated, they vet did test his skin for that, and Jack enjoys a good drink after his meal.

Well Jack still hasn't 'been' but he's much happier this evening now he's had some boiled chicken for tea.......although he's still hanging around waiting for his raw chicken wing or tripe stick.

Nippy.....hugs to Jack duly delivered!
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Glad Jack seems to be none the worse for his encounter with the pigs ear and that the vet was not too concerned.
Hopefully he will be back to normal in a day or so.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Oh that's a relief. I hope he won't need to go back to the vet and will soon be his old self.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Fingers still crossed here for Jack tonight and tomorrow - as he has not gone downhill I would cautiously hope that nothing is too seriously amiss.

Give him a big dose of syrup of figs.........that should do the trick (Only joking .........I think!)
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone! He's very settled this evening and I've calmed down a bit now, but I won'be happy till I have evidence that both ends are in good working order again.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 09:55 PM
That's great news. Hope he continues to improve.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Hi Sharon, in your situation I would give Jack 4 small meals a day so that his tummy doesn't become distended by a whole meal, there is also less chance of him being sick too.
I think also a little soft bulk added to the chicken may help things to pass through gently. Porridge/brown rice is good for this.
I hope he is better soon
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Phew glad the vet said it's probably nothing and fingers crossed Jack's feeling better soon!
Wassily once ate a whole femur bone in one go (kind of by accident) and got terribly constipated. Obviously it was 6am on new years day so my mum had to ring the animal hospital and they told her to feed him oil which a couple of hours later 'solved' the problem.
Since then we've stopped feeding our dogs any kind of bones or ears or the sort..
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Phew, glad it was not anything horrible!

I used to get pigs' ears as a treat but never any more. My littlest will swallow them whole, my biggest will bully my middlest until I have to take them away and the littlest will find them and swallow them whole. Then vomit them up, with blood. Yay!

(to be fair, the littlest swallows most large treats whole and then vomits them back up, which is why she is restricted to small, soft treats, apples, and carrots).

Pigs' ears are hard and can be sharp on the internals if they are not thoroughly and philosophically chewed. They are ideally suited to small dogs who will gnaw them into submission over hours. They should not be given to large dogs who can bite them into sharp, kinife-like, swallowable pieces, or dogs whose bite strength is far outside their size category (looking askance at you, Little Dog) and will just gnarf them down. If they can crack it, they shouldn't have it.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >