Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Tomatoes are part of the nightshade family and not recommended for those with joint problems.
My Orthopod has never suggested that I stop eating nightshade vegetables, and tomatoes, aubergines and peppers make up a large part of my everyday diet.

4 myths about nightshade vegetables

Some people may think nightshade vegetables are harmful because they’re confusing them with “deadly nightshade” or Atrope belladonna, an inedible weed that’s also part of the Solanaceae family
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
My Orthopod has never suggested that I stop eating nightshade vegetables, and tomatoes, aubergines and peppers make up a large part of my everyday diet.

4 myths about nightshade vegetables
Funny, my Dietitian recommended that I cut back. Must ask her more about it next time I'm back at the hospital.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
so I would recommend some tinned sardines or pilchards (in brine or tomato sauce) as often as your dog's diet will allow such a thing. It's cheap as muck, very nutritious, easily digestible even for a compromised digestive system, and readily available.
Mine all have tinned sardines at least three times a week but I get them in sunflower oil as I would think brine would be too salty. It's not that cheap either - in Tesco I paid over 60p per tin last week (the small oval tins)!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Mine all have tinned sardines at least three times a week but I get them in sunflower oil as I would think brine would be too salty. It's not that cheap either - in Tesco I paid over 60p per tin last week (the small oval tins)!
~£1.25 for one of those small tins here so when the fish van turns up I buy fresh sardines which I open freeze then bag up - and Pereg has them complete with heads and innards. They cost ~ £6.25 a kilo.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2013, 09:09 AM
My vet recommended I give our old dog glucosamine & chondroitin. Kept him moving well until he died aged 15yrs.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2013, 02:44 PM
I use this too, as does my mum, who makes a habit of collecting broken animals. I get the stuff for humans-- it tends to be cheaper than vet stuff, and is often on special somewhere. I just break it up into the sardines. We don't have any current issues with arthritis, and I'm hoping it will do something to guard against it.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2