Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dorris
New Member!
Female 

07-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Dog food

high i am new to this so bare with me want to know best dry food to feed my cocker spaniel saffron
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Hi Crissie what are you feeding at the moment...
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Also be sure to take a look at our guide on dog food:

Dog Food
dorris
New Member!
Female 

08-01-2013, 09:14 AM
hi i had her on bakers but changed as people told me no good so am trying mince morsleys
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 10:46 PM
what every you decide do it slowly over a period of time, to avoid upset tummy, avoid things with colours too. i use shepard choice for mine and its fab but used proplan, JWL in the past which were also good
ATD x
Roger Biduk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-01-2013, 03:35 AM
With due respect, the guide says the best food "normally comes down to personal choice". So not true.

The absolute best for the health of a carnivore (dog) or obligate carnivore (cat) is a balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet, not up for discussion.

Next is a wet, grain-free, low starch food containing only human-grade ingredients.
Wet is superior than kibble for the health of your pet. Wet has low or no starch with a moisture content of 75% - 80%.

Last is kibble, same criteria as wet food.

I'd like to comment on ATD's remarks, The foods he mentioned are very bad, low quality and very bad for the health of a dog/cat.

European pet foods are almost non-regulated and "Shepard's Choice" is an example. Ingredients listed are:
Cereals, Meat & Animal Derivatives (min 4% Beef), oils and fats. There's no way AAFCO would let this labeling pass in the U.S. Wouldn't let my dogs or anyone else's near this stuff.

You mentioned "proplan". If its Purina Proplan, it's one of the worst foods that you can find. Ingredients: Beef, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), chicken meal, whole grain corn, dried beet pulp, fish meal, dried egg product, animal digest,

Ingredients in this "food" are dangerous at best. According to the FDA, animal fat and animal digest have a high probability to contain pentabarbitol, the euthanasia drug that resists the heat of rendering.

Do you know what's in animal digest? The manufacturers sure don't, that's why they give it a generic name and not a named animal source. Animal digest is a cooked-down, disgusting broth used for flavor rendered by chemical and/or enzymatic process.

Dried egg product is a pure waste product. Cheap source of protein, waste product of egg industry, can contain undeveloped and diseased eggs, floor sweepings, etc.

I can write pages on how bad brewers rice, corn gluten meal and whole grain wheat is to a carnivore.

Stay away from all Purina products. Their website says Purina believes in grains and the power of corn. Unbelievable.

BTW, Purina products were recalled by the FDA in 2007 for poisoning cats and dogs with melamine imported from China.
Funny they don't put that on their website. Good luck, Roger Biduk
dorris
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2013, 07:34 AM
thanks for infro will do it slowly and keep a eye on her health dorris
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi check out lots of dog foods at this site which dog food . com just take out the spaces at type into google x x
sargaz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Bakers complete is horrendous!!!!! Crack for Dogs, full of E numbers and not to mention all the other harsh additives.
We feed RAW and have found we have much happier dogs.
Tikali
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Totally agree about Bakers - anything with that much colour in has to be dodgy! There must be a lot of people feeding it though as in February's Your Dog magazine a survey of readers' favourite 'must have' products, Bakers came 'highly commended' , with James Wellbeloved coming top.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >