Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cavapoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2012, 09:35 PM

My dog attacking?????!!!!

Took my little man to the groomers for the 3rd or 4th time... Groomer took 5hours to groom him because she said he attacked her and kept trying to bite her!!!! She muzzled him and everything!!!

I know he was scared and I think a badly westie who was there may have unsettled him but I can't believe he would bite!!! He's soooo lovely! I have to very small kids and this is worrying me sooo much-I would never trust a dog completely but I'm as close to it as you can get.. Or was....

I'm now terrified he'll bite someone/thing

Spoke to the guys at puppy training and they're going to help me with grooming etc.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 10:13 PM
could it maybe be that the groomer was a little abrupt with him, or he didn't like something she did?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 01:59 AM
What age is he?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 10:00 AM
If she's only groomed him as a pup and he's now becoming more assertive, it could be a handling error on her part. Five hours is a stupidly long time to do a small dog. She should have phoned you if she was having problems and asked you to come and stay with him to see if it helped matters, then at least you could witness the behaviour. Some people don't know how to deal with dogs when they become anxious or stressed and will keep pushing and pushing, which will make it ten times as difficult next time he's groomed. Was he matted at all? Sometimes dog can become stressed if the coat is matted in sensitive areas, such as armpits (not that that's an excuse to have him stressed out for five hours)

I would try a different groomer, explain the situation and ask if you could stay with him next time.

I wouldn't worry too much about the kids - I groom a few dogs that object to being washed, dried or trimmed but they are fine with the family.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Could he be in pain or a bit sore and she's accidentally caught the sore spot?
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 12:10 PM
god i missed the bit it took 5 hours.

can you imagine how frustrated you'd get if you had to stand around for 5 hours?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I certainly would not go back to a groomer that persisted grooming a dog for that length of time because its a very traumatising experience especially if a dog is sensitive. The groomer should have called you the first time the dog bit and stopped right their.

5 hours when a dog is all ready distressed is much to long a time to groom a dog. My dogs a cocker spaniel and it only takes two hours to do her at the most.
Cavapoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2012, 09:25 PM
I did think afterwards I wished I'd said something to her about not ringing me sooner-- I rang her in the end!! He's one on saturday-and yes he was matted as he got a tick and it drove him mad I stupidly listened to a man at pets at home who sold me £22 worth of front line instead of a simple tick remover that would have dealt with it straight away.

I don't think I will go back to that groomer-puppy puppy class train ears have suggested someone who will use our clicker trainning etc and if they trust them I'll trust them as they're all fantastic. I'm going to take clippers with me to trainning every week and we'll slowly gain his trust back etc...

I'm just so upset my poor dog went through that and also upset he can be so aggressive!! at the end of the day I realise he is an animal....
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Cavapoo View Post
I did think afterwards I wished I'd said something to her about not ringing me sooner-- I rang her in the end!! He's one on saturday-and yes he was matted as he got a tick and it drove him mad I stupidly listened to a man at pets at home who sold me £22 worth of front line instead of a simple tick remover that would have dealt with it straight away.

I don't think I will go back to that groomer-puppy puppy class train ears have suggested someone who will use our clicker trainning etc and if they trust them I'll trust them as they're all fantastic. I'm going to take clippers with me to trainning every week and we'll slowly gain his trust back etc...

I'm just so upset my poor dog went through that and also upset he can be so aggressive!! at the end of the day I realise he is an animal....
You only have her word that he was so aggressive. It might well be that she thought that was a good excuse to explain why she had taken so long with him. If he has never shown any aggression before then I would think there was a either a good reason for it or she wasn't telling the whole story. If you are concerned about your family obviously keep an eye on him a bit more.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
You only have her word that he was so aggressive. It might well be that she thought that was a good excuse to explain why she had taken so long with him. If he has never shown any aggression before then I would think there was a either a good reason for it or she wasn't telling the whole story. If you are concerned about your family obviously keep an eye on him a bit more.
Agree with Gill totally

I would always be vigilant when it comes to young children and dogs - as you already are - but I would not worry unneccessarily based on comments made by a groomer who groomed your dog for five hours - hope he was not forced to wear a muzzle for nearly all that length of time think I would have bitten someone under those circumstances
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >