Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Rune, I totaly agree
By 7 I am hoping my pair will have grown up a little - I really hope they will not be considered old at 7!!
I think it is very up to the breed and the individual dog as to what the upper limit should be

Give shows the power to ban people if they havent used common sense
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Its says not talking open or champ shows in intial post.i own a crossbreed.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Surely it should be down to the dog in question. If a dogs is healthy and able at 14, why the should they be stopped.

I only have experience with companion shows as I own crosses at the moment, however Muffin was in the ring only this year and was placed special at 16. At this point she was still doing fun agility and advanced obedience and loving it. She still acts like a puppy. Obviously this isn't now the case after her vestibular episode but up until that point a few weeks ago she was a picture of health. We're still struggling to get her to calm down, she can barely walk in a straight line but is still trying to do zoomies
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Some veteran classes start at 8 in my experience so not always 7,and as others have said depends on dogs overall health,fair enough if you attend and judge/steward asks you to leave or wait in car till your turn but why turn away profit for the charity at capping limit at 7_12 years,i suppose same could be said at other end of scale where I ve heard of people complaining that puppies under 6 months shouldnt be entered at a fun show.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
Some veteran classes start at 8 in my experience so not always 7,and as others have said depends on dogs overall health,fair enough if you attend and judge/steward asks you to leave or wait in car till your turn but why turn away profit for the charity at capping limit at 7_12 years,i suppose same could be said at other end of scale where I ve heard of people complaining that puppies under 6 months shouldnt be entered at a fun show.
Puppies under 6 months old aren't allowed to be entered at KC licenced shows
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Oh wish this rule was in place at the shows we go to. Parker keeps getting placed 2nd in the veteran class below a 13 year old dog that goes to the same shows we go to!

Seriously it is up to the show organisers as I know veteran classes can vary quite a bit in the lower age range from entering Parker in them.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Crufts has an upper age limit of 12 for the veteran class & none for the other non age classes so a dog that has qualified for Crufts(by having a stud book numer etc)& is over 12 can be entered in the non age classes for which it is eligible
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Puppies under 6 months old aren't allowed to be entered at KC licenced shows
I am well aware of that I nearly wrote non kc fun shows.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I thought it went without saying that fun shows weren't KC (tongue a little bit in cheek!).

rune
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:04 AM
unfortunately some owners don't know when to leave their poor dogs at home , i've judged a CS on a very hot day and had a 14 year old x entered it could barely keep 4 legs on the ground. I don't have a problem with an upper limit at a CS its up the the organisers .
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 11:53 AM
IME Common Sense is not that common, so people HAVE to legislate for morons.................. and pot hunters.

Yes a judge MAY ask a dog to leave the ring if they believe it is contrary to the welfare of the dog, but I would challenge why a judge should be PUT into that position at a "fun" show which could potentially trigger an "incident" and spoil the atmosphere of the show.

I have been to a lot of "fun" shows, and believe me, there is often little "fun" to be seen, especially in the pedigree classes!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >