View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I show at local shows and at one the judge went to "go over" a Rhodesian Ridgeback but the owner warned him not to touch it as it was wary. He still awarded it 1st place and later reserve best in show. I did afterwards complain to the show's organisers and they said they knew the dog from other shows and it was not a good temperament and they would mention this to the judge.

Sometimes people are not aware of their dog's nervousness though. I took Izzy to a dog show and she decided she would not have the judge touch her, she backed away from him and then lunged at him when he persevered. I had not been told that she had previously been rehomed to a man who kicked her and she has issues with strange men. It was embarassing for me and not nice for the judge either! Needless to say that will be the last dog show she goes to for some time.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:03 PM
If I would have been competing it would have put me right off especially if I had to stand near. I am only a newbie and would be nervous enough.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:55 AM
4th in Post grad does not qualify it for Crufts so the judge was not giving the dog great award.

What faults did the two that came after it have. They may have had inverted canines growing through the roof of their mouths. Not as obvious as a poor temperament to the ring side but very serious, in my opinion.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 08:28 AM
I would like to point out that because you show your dog it does not automatically mean you want to breed, for the majority is is just an enjoyable hobby.

There are very clear guidelines set down by the kennel club which the judges agree to abide by.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 05:18 PM
I have shown Oscar who is a nervous dog, but stopped when he was roughly handled by a judge making him shake uncontrollably.

I pulled him out from showing from then on as there's no point in showing if the dog detests it. His confidence has improved over recent months so I may well reintroduce him to ringcraft, but if he decides he really doesn't like it then he'll remain a pet/gundog in training!

I have seen some judges refuse to place exhibits so it does happen. In the Labrador ring at Darlington a fight broke out between two dogs and both were asked to leave the ring, so there are decent judges out there.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I would like to point out that because you show your dog it does not automatically mean you want to breed, for the majority is is just an enjoyable hobby.

There are very clear guidelines set down by the kennel club which the judges agree to abide by.

That is true but the original purpose of breed showing, Field Trials and Schutzhund etc were to demonstrate the worth of the dogs from a kennel.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2