Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2008, 01:51 PM

mucusy poo........

one of my dogs has what looks like mucus poo she gets fed the same as the other 3 and they are okay. i do give a little bit of tripe evey other day can this do it to them . ive stopped for 3 days but shes not realy any better shes fine in herself
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Don't worry if she is otherwise fit and happy, mucus is the way the gut is protected from damage and some dogs produce more that others. It could be a sign that the dog may have had slight infection or has been passing something that irritated her gut. Feed as normal and take a look in a weeks time.
dobelover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
one of my dogs has what looks like mucus poo she gets fed the same as the other 3 and they are okay. i do give a little bit of tripe evey other day can this do it to them . ive stopped for 3 days but shes not realy any better shes fine in herself
Hi

It could be colitus....

http://www.isabellevets.co.uk/health...colitisdog.htm

My boy used to suffer from it from time to time....it just comes and goes...sometimes he had antibiotics ...

Lisa
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Don't worry if she is otherwise fit and happy, mucus is the way the gut is protected from damage and some dogs produce more that others. It could be a sign that the dog may have had slight infection or has been passing something that irritated her gut. Feed as normal and take a look in a weeks time.
I agree with Pita ......if it were bloody the i suspect colitus but as not above expalins really well
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2008, 07:13 PM
thank you its not bloody so ill just keep an eye on her
Agility-mongrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Dan has colitis, it's only bloody when it's bad, when he has a mild bout, it is mucusy and gets looser the more poos he does (if that makes sense!, the first one is fine, but the second and third are loose-ish, and the fourth is very loose!). It's taken me 2 1/2 years to find a food that suits him for any length of time!
If it has only just started though and she's on the same food she always has been, then it is probably a little infection (possibly like Dan, she's picked something up from the park!). If it is colitis, it may progress to the "bloody" stage, but this has only happened twice with Dan; he usually gets it out of his system after a few days.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 08:32 PM
It is normal for the first stool in the morning to be firmer than and subsequent ones, because the longer the material stays in the large intestine the more moisture there is removed, however once the first stools are passed the movement through the intestines speeds up with exercise etc and less moisture is removed causing the latter stools to be passed in a softer state. It may be a symptom of colitis but it is also normal.