Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 05:44 AM

alcohol abuse

has anyone had any experience of getting help for someone that is abusing alochol??

thanks

sue
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 05:52 AM
My mother was an alcoholic. If the person "wants" help, then the first step is really your GP. However, if they don't want help, and so many just don't, then there's not much you can do.

Unless they are a danger to others, I believe it has to be voluntary.....
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 06:49 AM
Yes, I'm afraid Vicki is correct. There is nothing one can do unless they want the help!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 06:57 AM
My ex is an alcoholic (that's not all he is ) but woudn't admit he'd got a problem with alcohol, and yes I'm afraid it's has to be up to the individual to get help, if the person admits they have a problem then that's a big step, then as Vicki says try the doctors.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 07:14 AM
My stepchildrens mother has just spent the last 7 months in Hospital, very nearly died from liver failure and still denies she has an alchohol problem! They now say one drink could kill her!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 08:07 AM
My father spent years trying to convince his brother to seek help for his addiction to alchohol , it started when my grandmother died ,he never had a drink in his life and after her death he could not cope , he attended aa clinics for a couple of sessions then gave up he ended up homeless , losing his family as his wife and two of his children gave up on him and he became a down and out ,my father took him in and tried his best to help him but he refused to take the help offered sadly he died from sorousous of the liver and kidney failure .
Im afraid im being bleak but unless they admit they have a problem the only ppl that can help is themselves .
Good luck with this issue i hope you can get them to accept help before it does them real dammage xxdk
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2007, 11:46 AM
If you have a family member who has a drink problem, insist they go to their GP.
Shove them through the door if you have to, if you love them, they need your support and guidance.
Alchoholics are the very last persons who'll admit they have a problem.
Some won't take advice, look at George Best, he was the exception, but most will abstain if given enough encouragement, and given other interests in life. Try and get them to take up a new hobby etc, if their pals are all drinkers, try and discourage them from keeping their company.

Support is what an alchoholic needs, not criticism.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 11:52 AM
thanks guys for the support - its my 17 yr old son who has the problem. he lives 50-60 miles away. went to see him yesterday and today feel so down and sad knowing i cant do anything to help him. not going to do the mummy bit and jump in and give him means to get drink but did go and buy him food yesterday. have told him i am here for him but the only person that can sort it out is him. he is in with the wrong crowd of people and i know at the end of the day he has got to get away from them.

i am just dreading the future for him at the moment

sue
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
If you have a family member who has a drink problem, insist they go to their GP.
Shove them through the door if you have to, if you love them, they need your support and guidance.
Alchoholics are the very last persons who'll admit they have a problem.
Some won't take advice, look at George Best, he was the exception, but most will abstain if given enough encouragement, and given other interests in life. Try and get them to take up a new hobby etc, if their pals are all drinkers, try and discourage them from keeping their company.

Support is what an alchoholic needs, not criticism.

My ex had two young children, a well paid job that he was brilliant at, he was a driving instructor, had a nice home I gave him all the encouragment and support I could to stay of the booze, and what did I get for my trouble, to many black eyes to count, split lips, teeth knocked out, threatened with a carving knife, forced to have sex with him (when he could erm, well you know ) , dragged around the house by my hair, he kicked the dog, peed down the stairs because I'd moved the bathroom , fell into the babys cot, threw up in the wardrobe, there comes a time when you can't give support anymore, I'm sure not everyone who has an alcholol problem is like my ex, but some you just can't help.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Sue you are doing the right thing. Don't give money as that will certainly go on drink. My stepbrother is alcoholic and they have to do it themselves. Just be there when he decides he needs the help. I feel for you I really do. Most of the youngsters around here are drinking all the time. It is so sad. My 17 year old grandaughters words were " well what else is there to do and all my mates do it ". It is a sad situation. You can only give them advice. Even if you did drag them to the doctors it won't do any good unless they want to do it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >