View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva_93
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Scent Detection Work, how did you get started?

Hi, I am doing some quick research about scent detection work. I would love to hear from people who teach or work with dogs that are trained in scent detection.

How did your dog first get started with scent detection?

How do you teach your dog to differentiate between two or more scents, is it a good idea to teach more than one scent?

What are some of the more unusual ways a dog can use it's nose apart from some of the more obvious such as drug/explosive detection?

What breeds (if any) have you found are better at scent detection work?
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Funny you ask as I went to a scent workshop this weekend with my little terrier. I can thoroughly recommend Pam Mackinnon of Talking dogs scentwork as a great trainer. We had a brilliant time and learnt a lot. We have only done scent 1 so far but there are 6 levels to work through if you choose. Scent 1 covers the basics of introducing the scent and getting the dog looking for it and scent 2 takes more of a look at handling techniques.

Bandit is learning to search for a catnip scented toy. On Sunday he did a total of four searches for a catnip mouse. Today, 5 days later, I hid a totally different catnip scented toy in my living room. When I released Bandit to search for it he found it almost straight away and knew exactly what he was supposed to do. I am so proud of him and just shows how quickly he has picked it all up. He has never done any scent work before.

It's a great way to work their brain. Today we did another four searches with varying degrees of difficulty and he is now fast asleep on the sofa next to me. I love watching him work and that moment he picks up the scent and his whole body language changes is awesome!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2014, 01:14 PM
At school we have used Bananas, rancid pork (to look for cadavers) and currently they are doing some work with bat droppings for conservation.

There was recently a piece in the Telegraph about a dog being taught to look for dry rot, much better at it than the builders who go in and tear the place apart apparently