Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 12:53 PM

Going to start in agility!

Well I've gone and got Blu booked up in agility It is on the same day as obedience but I can always go to one one week and the other the next. Plan on buying practise stuff for out the garden anyway. Does he need a certain type of collar etc? He had a go at agility yesterday and loved it anyway so should be good for him
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Oh you're gonna looooooove it!!! We started a while back, but only did 4, then it got too hot, then she got a grass seed in a paw, but I will start up again soon if it stays cooler.

At mine, you're not allowed half check collars, or harnesses, you want the dog to be going forward, so you have to use just a plain collar. My recommendation would be to have the one to one lessons first if you can afford it, as you have the whole place to yourself, the dog concentrates more on what it's doing than watching/playing with the other dogs, so I'd advise it for at least the very first lesson if you can't afford more than that.

You'll be amazed just how much you'll progress with the obedience side of things too, coz my dog was actually FAR more willing to co-operate with her commands when doing this agility than she ever was in a training class, so it should be a real bonus for you too! Good luck and let us know
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 01:11 PM
The first lesson is free so can see what it's like with other dogs around then decide if I should get a one to one

I've always wanted to do agility but lets just say Cheeko prefers to take life slowly.. Blu just loves running around, jumping everywhere! He has loads of plain collars but I wanted an excuse to buy a new one lol

I was practising weaving with him in the garden last week. Poundland have cricket sets so I got 2 and used to poles to make weaves. Within 5 mins he already knew what weave meant!

Not sure what he will be like offlead because yesterday at the doggie dash he decided to take the pee out of me by running around me in circles jumping everywhere!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 05:42 PM
which class are you going to? i went to one a little while ago with my mums dog kaine and he loved it, but it was quite far out for me to go to everyweek although the trainers were fantastic
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
which class are you going to? i went to one a little while ago with my mums dog kaine and he loved it, but it was quite far out for me to go to everyweek although the trainers were fantastic
It's our Bearsden way. Cledens Agility.There is another one in Strathclyde park but I don't really want to be outside when it's pouring down! Not that the rain bothers me if it's a show thats on it's just I'd rather have a roof over my head even if it's only an old farm building!

Was out with him in the garden earlier with 2 jumps and some very makeshift weaves. He loved it. Going to B&Q tomorrow with dad because he wants (kinda forced to ) make a seesaw etc!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Just a little word of advice, in case you want to take this agility further. When I had my first lesson, we did everything very sloooooowly, all onlead, just to get the dog used to it, so as not to frighten her. That seesaw is going to be a whole YEAR away for us according to my trainer, so just be careful what you're playing with at home, until you've had the time to have that very first lesson with a proper trainer, it really will pay off. Most dogs are terrified of that see-saw at first attempt and it's usually, way, way down the line of all the other stuff such as the jumps, tunnel, and a-frame. I don't want you to frighten your poor dog off before he gets started with it properly that's all. Good luck, and have fun!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 06:00 PM
We start agility next month and were told not to use anything involving chain (collar/lead etc). I've also ordered a flat collar tag for Toby so he won't have anything dangling off his collar.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 06:03 PM
I'd rather he was onlead for awhile until he's used to the other dogs since he hasn't had a great experiance with other dogs.

I don't mean a full size seesaw just something with a tiny tilt in it then as he gets better can make it bigger. Yesterday I thought he would freak so bad at the seesaw but he just went over it without a single problem

The jumps in the garden are only about 15cm high because I don't want to do any injuries. As much as I love showing I think he will prefer competting in agility and obedience with just doing showing once or twice a month. Atleast then I can say my dog has brains and isn't just all beauty
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 06:11 PM
I agree with H although when Ellie started agility last summer the first thing she did was the see saw. She dragged me towards it so I decided to just see if she would try it. By the end of 15 miunutes she was flying over it - and touching the painted areas on the end too!

Now where the GSDs are concerned it's a whole different issue. They are all wimps (Jenzi isn't but she's not old enough for agility yet). Zane will do more or less anything with a bit of coaxing and bribery but the A-frame stumped him completely.

Yiannis likes me to show him what to do first, then he'll do it. So it's easy when I take Oscar with me - he goes through the tunnels etc first. But if Yiannis thinks I'm putting my 6 year old over a 10ft A-frame, he can think again!

Always remember, above all else you shold have fun. By all means take it seriously and sometimes it can be hard work. But I'd suggest that should you or the dog not enjoy it, or if one day you decide you don't fancy doing it then don't. Make sure you're in the right frame of mine to do it otherwise the dog will stand there like a lemon just string at you (been there, done that, had everyone p1ssing themselves laughing at me too )
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
I agree with H although when Ellie started agility last summer the first thing she did was the see saw. She dragged me towards it so I decided to just see if she would try it. By the end of 15 miunutes she was flying over it - and touching the painted areas on the end too!

Now where the GSDs are concerned it's a whole different issue. They are all wimps (Jenzi isn't but she's not old enough for agility yet). Zane will do more or less anything with a bit of coaxing and bribery but the A-frame stumped him completely.

Yiannis likes me to show him what to do first, then he'll do it. So it's easy when I take Oscar with me - he goes through the tunnels etc first. But if Yiannis thinks I'm putting my 6 year old over a 10ft A-frame, he can think again!

Always remember, above all else you shold have fun. By all means take it seriously and sometimes it can be hard work. But I'd suggest that should you or the dog not enjoy it, or if one day you decide you don't fancy doing it then don't. Make sure you're in the right frame of mine to do it otherwise the dog will stand there like a lemon just string at you (been there, done that, had everyone p1ssing themselves laughing at me too )
The A frame does look scary! I wouldn't want to be going over it anyway Jumping over jumps and going through a tunnel I don't mind!

I love obedience and I done that well before I started showing. Done well in it with Cheeko but still to see how I'll get on with Blu I just meant with showing I have friends I see every weekend but I'm sure I'll make other friends through agility too!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >