View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shih_Tzu_Lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2009, 04:11 PM

PLEASE ANSWER TRUTHFULLY: Can my dog eat Porridge??

So.

My dog loves porridge!!
He likes it with abit of sugar so please could someone help me?
Can i feed my dog porridge? I've searched the internet and people say i can but not too often as this could hurt my dog :S I need advice, does anyone have any advice for me and does anyone out there feed their dog porridge as part of their diet?

I would love to hear many replies,
Lots of Love,
Hollie and My Doggie Woggie Romeo
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't think it would do any harm, but I on't see the point personally.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2009, 04:14 PM
not sure on the porridge but i wouldnt feed him sugar
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't know about the porridge either but the sugar is not good for him
Shih_Tzu_Lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Alot of people say 'whats the point' honestly, there isnt any! Hehe : )

Its just ( i'm gunna sound stupid now ) i feel sorry for him.
I mean he isnt spoilt but he doesnt eat dog food because it makes him sick like makes him actually vomit and we asked the vet what to do and she told us to give him the biggest variety possible.

I eat alot of porridge ( not sure why? But anyway i discovered one day that when i left the bowl on by bed and i told Romeo to try the porridge he loved it!

So i thought well becuase you see he eats chicken and meats for his tea and treats throughout the day and we dont have time to cook chicken in the morning then porridge would be a quick and easy method for his breakfast! But will it do him harm?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 04:24 PM
It won't do him harm but it doesn't have any nutrional value. You might as well feed him some cardboard.

Think of it like this - would a wild dog (say a wolf/dingo/hyena) eat porridge?
Shih_Tzu_Lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Sarah27

I agree with you on that but my little Shih Tzu's orogin suggests that when they 'guarded the temples?' they would eat only as the owners would which was mainly rice, milk,meat,water and various sauces.

So ?? I dont know. Please give me your own opinion without the dog phsycology
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Not sure..but one greyhound website i was looking at suggested you feed them weetabix or cornflakes for breakfast!!
I aint gonna do that!!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 05:15 PM
A little bit of porridge isn't going to do any harm, Make sure the oats are fully soaked though as poorly soaked oats or rice can cause bloat, but otherwise should be fine. It'll give him a full belly in the morning and help bind his stool. As long as you vary the rest of his diet it will be fine.

There are good hypoallergenic dry dog foods out there, Hills, James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin to name a few, one of them might be able to help his trouble with dog food a good well balanced dry food will solve a lot of your problems. Keep his teeth clean and let you relax knowing he's getting all the nutrients he needs.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi STL I would say porridge is fine occasionally/for sick dogs/puppies but not for every meal because it doesn't contain enough nutrients . By porridge I mean real rolled oats preferably organic, not the 'processed' variety.

It should be made with water not milk because many dogs are lactose intolerant, sugar is not good for dogs and shouldn't be used because it rots the teeth and makes them overweight . A little honey added to the porridge is OK but only if the dog has been ill or is very thin and needs to put weight on, it can also rot the teeth
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >