Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 03:49 PM

Hibiscrub - how often?

Roxy has had an infection between her pads. She was on AB's for 7 days, and Dean then gave me some Hibiscrub to apply.

He didn't say how often, and it didn't occur to me to ask

Is twice a day sufficient?

More? Or less?

I'm just soaking a cotton wool pad and pressing it to the infected areas. Am I doing it right?

Thanks guys
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Hibiscrub is quite concentrated, so depending on the severity of the wound, will depend on whether you apply diluted or as it comes..abd how often.

But what you are doing is OK,...or you can dilute it in warm water and place the whole paw in and let it soak.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi vicki, i use hibiscrub daily on jessie's leg wound. I add a little water, cooled boiled water to it, dip cotton in it, wipe wound and chuck it. Then use clean bit and repeat, so that i don't add any germs to the hibiscrub mix.

Once or twice a day is fine, then i dry it off by patting kitchen towel on it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 04:21 PM
I use it all the time, day in day out and I swear by it, it's fantastic stuff. For feet, I would put a little warm water in a small bowl, throw in some hibiscrub and froth it up, it works best when it's frothed up (for some reason!) and dunk Roxy's foot in it and rub it all around, gently of course. Then have another bowl of clean warm water and dunk it in again to rinse it off. You have to rinse it off you don't leave it on there, it's a wash, not an application for a wound. Good luck, it works wonders on sore skin!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys I'll do my dabbing once a day, I think, as I don't dilute it at all
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Vicki
It all depends on the preparation. If its a solution (often comes in sachets), just soak, dry and go!. If its the wash (usually in a rectangular bottle), dilute in warm water, swish around and rinse off.
HTH
Mary
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Difficult to tell, as it's been decanted into a standard bottle from the vet. I think I'll dilute it now and do the dunking that Helena has said.
Thanks all
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm guessing it's decanted from one of their big bottles. I'd def dilute it down, otherwise it would be too harse on the skin. I used it originally to clean the sites around Willow's external fixators when she had the broken leg and like to keep a bottle on hand now for cleaning wounds. Very handy stuff that does the job well.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Sorry your poor doglet's not feeling well Vicki.

Heidi
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 07:40 PM
On the bottle, the instructions just say "apply to affected area".

This may all be academic now - I had a look at her pads tonight and it look like the infection's cleared up .

I got Baz to lift her up so I could get a proper close look - it's almost impossible otherwise.

Thanks guys
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >