Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
Even if I treat them to fresh human grade from the butchers it goes in the freezer first

just out of interest, do you freeze the meat you eat before you use it? (well before cooking, cos eating meat when it is frozen is probably ulikely unless you are an Inuit)
But then I doubt that SHE is going to eat it raw...unlike the dogs
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
minihaha, I know you don't get the egg thing, I do feed my dog egg, no shell no white just raw yolk and no veg, he's a carnivore
Can I ask- why just the yolk?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I find the whole thing really confusing, tbh. There are so many different opinions out there, not just raw or dry but high protein or high carb too.

Seems no matter what you do you can't do right for doing wrong.
couldn't agree more LS and that's partly why I stick to a 'safe' option that is working for my boys...they are happy and healthy...mo has had prostate problems, but that's because he was 'entire' and now he isn't he's grand...

People have to feed what they and their dogs are happy with.

I think, IMO, a BARF diet can be even more confusing, it's hard to eat a balanced and healthy human diet and i'm afraid I , like a lot of people lack the necessary knowledge about canine nutrition, to feed a raw diet.
Throwing the cat amongst the pigeons...just for fun...
Dogs have been domesticated for hundreds and hundreds of years...is their digestive system realy still 'up' for digesting raw food???? It's been a long time since they were hunters...
*steps back quietly....*
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
couldn't agree more LS and that's partly why I stick to a 'safe' option that is working for my boys...they are happy and healthy...mo has had prostate problems, but that's because he was 'entire' and now he isn't he's grand...

People have to feed what they and their dogs are happy with.

I think, IMO, a BARF diet can be even more confusing, it's hard to eat a balanced and healthy human diet and i'm afraid I , like a lot of people lack the necessary knowledge about canine nutrition, to feed a raw diet.
Dogs have been domesticated for hundreds and hundreds of years...is their digestive system realy still 'up' for digesting raw food???? It's been a long time since they were hunters...
*steps back quietly....*
What animal eats cooked food...
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 08:16 PM
*steps back quietly....*
Don't go Ailsa! I do feed Loki raw and I cook some too - best of both worlds??? He seems to digest raw okay - no dodgy aftermath , . Thing is, I used to really worry about this but then he'd go and eat horse dung or find a dead (rotting :smt078 ) feathered thing or get a rabbit so I thought well my nice supermarket stuff can't be too bad then.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Well they don't in the wild but it does smell better .
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 08:18 PM
No need to shout!

That's what I'm saying SBT...dogs have...since they became domesticated dogs have lived off human scraps...cooked ones...(and raw probably but largely cooked). In fact in the not too distant past, pet dogs just ate what the owners were having or what the owners left....cooked food.
It's been a while since a domestic dog ate a raw diet...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Don't go Ailsa! I do feed Loki raw and I cook some too - best of both worlds??? He seems to digest raw okay - no dodgy aftermath , . Thing is, I used to really worry about this but then he'd go and eat horse dung or find a dead (rotting :smt078 ) feathered thing or get a rabbit so I thought well my nice supermarket stuff can't be too bad then.
Best of both worlds sounds good to me LS and is probably what we should all aim for and what I may look into when my old guys ..you know..
For now though, they are incredibly happy and healthy on the food they have so why change it if it ain't broke?!!!!:smt002
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Funny but Ill give my dog a raw bone - she looks at me as if to say- u expect me to eat THAT ?? Then Ill run it under a hot tap- just to take the raw edge off-then she will tackle it.....
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 08:25 PM
For now though, they are incredibly happy and healthy on the food they have so why change it if it ain't broke?!!!!:smt002
Indeed!
Page 4 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »