View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2005, 07:35 AM
The first law of thermodynamics states that: the total inflow of energy into a system must equal the total outflow of energy from the system, plus the change in the energy contained within the system

Therefore if you have an 100% efficient boiler then it should make no difference whatsoever how you use it. However nobodies boiler is 100% efficent. So the point when your boiler is most efficent is where least amount of energy will be wasted. When a boiler starts up it's not very efficent at all; therefore it's probably better to keep it on all the time rather than have it restart every day. There will however be a point when the energy used in the amount of time you're not in the house is greater than the energy required to restart the boiler.

Graeme
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2005, 09:42 AM
I have a combi boiler so I get hot water instantly and all the radiators in the house have their own individual theremostat
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Mine's ancient and has two systems but it is now faulty because if you switch the water heater on the central heating comes on at the same time, it shouldn't, it never use to - a technician was called, £80 later to tell us it was faulty and didn't know what was wrong with it Idiot - we already told him we knew there was a fault.

I think until we get it fixed (find someone who can fix it) we are going to have it on timed as I don't think we will save any money having both systems on.

Have you got a back boiler Maplecottage, that switches on somewhere nearby and then a separate themostat for the heating because that is what we have (we have replaced the back boiler about 8 years ago but the central heating switch has been in since I was 16 -which is quite a long time ago - but still works okay. Perhaps you just need a replacement central heating switch. I am insured with British gas so if anything goes wrong with the boiler, radiators or fire or switches, they come out usually next day and mend/replace them for free, at least I know its being done by properly trained people and not cowboys who charge the earth. They also do a free check up of your heating and fire and boiler once every 12 months to make sure its safe I have my electrical wiring and drains insured with them too and also my washer before I got a new one.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Fx I have no idea I'll get OH to check it out for me tonight

Thanks for the guidance, let's hope it's a quick fix.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Fx I have no idea I'll get OH to check it out for me tonight

Thanks for the guidance, let's hope it's a quick fix.

To get hot water I have to press a switch in at the bottom and the boiler fires up, if I want it on timed - so it comes on at a set time - I have to press it in at the top. If I want the radiators to come on I just have to turn the dial on the thermostat at the back of the living room, until it clicks and then you can hear them coming on.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Mine's ancient and has two systems but it is now faulty because if you switch the water heater on the central heating comes on at the same time, it shouldn't, it never use to - a technician was called, £80 later to tell us it was faulty and didn't know what was wrong with it Idiot - we already told him we knew there was a fault.

I think until we get it fixed (find someone who can fix it) we are going to have it on timed as I don't think we will save any money having both systems on.
Can you let me know if you find an answer to your problem, because we have the same thing happening, water on, heating comes on and this is only a recent problem, wondered if it was the timer on the wall which is at fault.
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Goin to try this now myself hope it works as between turning the radiators on its freezing in this house!!!
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Mine did that over the summer - got cooked until BG came out to fix it.

On mine there is a valve which directs the water to either the radiators or to the heating coil in the hot water tank. It had stuck somewhere between the two positions, sending hot water to both the radiators and the hot water tank

When it was replaced, it the central heating system worked like it was supposed to.

I asked the BG guy what would cause it to do that, and he said, 'hard water and sludge'.

If it hadn't been the valve, the only other thing it could be was the cental heating controller.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Will do

Originally Posted by Katiecoos
Can you let me know if you find an answer to your problem, because we have the same thing happening, water on, heating comes on and this is only a recent problem, wondered if it was the timer on the wall which is at fault.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2