Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
busybee100
New Member!
Female 

22-08-2016, 04:47 PM

Need advice about deep wound please

Hello. We have a 12 year German Shepherd who is normally in good health. However a nasty leg sore didnt heal despite treatment and it ended up turning into a deep infected wound. We have been back and forth the vets endlessly. The wound is no longer infected but it has left a large 'hole'. Sorry I know this is a bit gross. The vet is treating it with 1% silver cream. He tried staples but they fell out. He doesn't seem optimistic but he never is. I would like to know if there is anything else we can be using or giving to our dog to help him healing this hole? We would appreciate any tips or advice. Has anyone else been in a similar position and got through it? I did see Instrasite gel mentioned elsewhere on the internet as being good for encourage deep wounds or holes to fill. Has anyone tried it?

Also our dog is normally very placid but he goes nuts at the vets now. He really freaks out which isn't good for him. The vet hasn't mentioned sedatives and I presume this is because of the dog's age but I don't know. Can dogs of his age have a sedative safely? Is there anything we can try to keep him calm? Someone suggested valerian herb but I am sceptical. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Valerian Compound drops which you can buy online from Dorwest should help calm him down. I found them very helpful when my dog had a series of operations on her eyes.

To help heal the wound have you tried Manuka Honey? You can either buy Manuka Honey dressings or make your own by smearing the honey on some (non stick) gauze and placing it over the wound then secure with a bandage.
Swifty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Are you using vitamin supplements? because the dog might have some unknown physical ailment that is rendering his vitamin levels poor, which would hinder healing. I would also fins a new vet as you CLEARLY do not trust this one and you should trust your instincts.
busybee100
New Member!
Female 

04-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Thank you for your suggestions. We were initially using manuka honey (as prescribed by the vet) but that didnt work strangely. It led to the wound getting really infected. However we have been using the Intrasite gel and alternating with the 1% silver cream and its working we think. I just wanted to share what we think has helped in case it helps someone else.

I read online that wounds need to be kept moist to heal properly. Our problem was keeping the dressing on. Bandages didn't work as he would pull them off somehow. I think this was hindering his recovery as the wound wasnt staying moist long enough. By the way the wound is at the back of the top of his front leg. My boyfriend improvised with a child's sock by cutting off the foot part, leaving a short tube which has a slightly elastic band at the top. He dresses the wound as usual and then pulls the sock over it making sure the elastic band is pulled over the joint at the top of the leg. As the lower part of the sock is loose our dog isn't bothered by it at all. Its too short for him to pull off and its working really well. He seems quite happy with it on.

The other thing is that I put in a request for pet healing from the Distant Healing Network at www.the-dhn.org I've asked them in the past and it seems to have helped so I thought it was worth a try.

I hope this helps someone else. Thanks again x
ConcettaParsons
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2016, 03:17 AM
I was about to create a new topic, but I think I can post it here. I have a 5 year old lab who is very smart. Earlier our front door was not in a good condition. So whenever she wanted to go out, she used to jump and unlock the door and slightly hit it to open the door. Later my husband said that our door is very week. So we installed a high security lock. The next day as usually my lab tried to open the door, but she was not able to. So she hit the door forcefully and her leg got fractured and its bleeding too. She's making all kind of noises to overcome the pain and it's really heartbreaking for me. We consulted the doctor. She was given treatment but she's having pain. Does anyone have any solution to temporarily get rid of the pain. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by ConcettaParsons View Post
I was about to create a new topic, but I think I can post it here. I have a 5 year old lab who is very smart. Earlier our front door was not in a good condition. So whenever she wanted to go out, she used to jump and unlock the door and slightly hit it to open the door. Later my husband said that our door is very week. So we installed a high security lock. The next day as usually my lab tried to open the door, but she was not able to. So she hit the door forcefully and her leg got fractured and its bleeding too. She's making all kind of noises to overcome the pain and it's really heartbreaking for me. We consulted the doctor. She was given treatment but she's having pain. Does anyone have any solution to temporarily get rid of the pain. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jeez! A labrador has strong, powerful legs - I would not have thought that she could have fractured a leg in this way unless she has weak bones due to a deficiency in her diet - lack of calcium? That said, a fracture is extremely painful - if you had taken her to the vet, I am sure you would have been prescribed strong painkillers for her - what treatment did the vet administer? If your dog is in pain, then you MUST take her back to the vet as an emergency, you cannot leave her in pain poor dog
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2016, 11:20 AM
If your vet is saying silver, then carry on with the silver. I'd give a vitamin supplement to, to aid healing.