Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-08-2016, 02:04 PM
thanks read it and thanks again everyone your so kind
landseer
New Member!
Male 

14-08-2016, 06:00 PM
I've only known one epileptic dog, and that was 20 some years ago. The pills the dog were on I don't recall but I do know they reduced seizures to once a month and they were almost like clockwork.

Worst bite I ever got in my life was from that dog, he went into a grand mal seizure and I tried to comfort him - near tore my hand off. He didn't know what he was doing, completely my fault and there wasn't an aggressive bone in his body to begin with.

It's hard to watch a dog having a grand mal seizure.
col72
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-08-2016, 07:45 PM
our Emily had a seizure this morning it was to much for she died in her mams arms
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-08-2016, 07:54 PM
I know there are quite a lot of border collies with epilepsy. Apparently there is an entire line of agility border collies with epilepsy, because they are so successful in the agility competitions, the breeder carries on and people buy the dogs, all in the name of winning
The owner of one of Cariad's daughters, is into agility and usually has 2 border collies, one has just passed away, and it was her that was telling me this, I was horrified to be honest.
Why perpetuate such a horrible condition
Run Free Little Girl, no more pain
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Yes, l agree with the other posts in as much as your dog will most likely lead a normal life once on medication, ( the fits will probably be either reduced in frequency and/or much less violent), and you shouldn't think it's the end of the world for either of you. If it's any consolation, you will be far more stressed about this than your dog! Apart from being a little bit wobbly when he starts the medication, ( mine was on Epiphen), you probably won't see any difference, and neither will he. Just for the record, there don't seem to be any fixed triggers for seizures in dogs, (unlike in humans who have to avoid flashing lights etc), but 99% of my dogs fits happened during the night whilst he was in his bed.
I think my dogs reaction became half a heartbeat slower once he was on medication, but no one else noticed!
There's also a newer medication on the market that's supposed to be less harmful to the liver, but for my dog it was less effective. His liver was monitored occasionally but he never had any problems with liver function.
I wish you well. It is a whole new world you're entering, but there are lots of Dogsey members who have epi dogs and they will support you through this, and continue to do over the years. They were invaluable to me whenever l had a question or just needed a chat with a fellow epi owner.
Big hug to you both!
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2016, 08:37 AM
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! I quickly posted- wanting you to be reassured, but hadn't seen your next post! Please forgive me and please accept my heartfelt condolences. Thinking of you......x
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2016, 02:43 PM
I am so sorry to read that you have lost Emily. This is a terrible condition, and the only consolation is that she doesn't have to suffer these attacks any more. I am glad that someone she loved was able to be with her at the end.
col72
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2016, 02:48 PM
we lost our other collie 4 weeks after emily died vet thinks she died of a broken broken heart we bought a border terrier to try and keep her company but it never worked thanks everyone x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2