View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Anyone else remember Jenny in Surrey when they were flooded out in their garden actually put tomato growing trays on her balcony with strips of turf within them to give the dogs somewhere to go while their garden was flooded. It worked well. Why not try this method only by putting a polythene liner inside the tray before putting the turf in, I would think this could work well if you wanted to do this indoors.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Griff thanks very much for that link. It looks really good, think I might give it a try. Doesn't cost much so if it doesn't work then it's not such a loss.

We got out when it wasn't raining this morning but of course ended up soaked before we got home. There was a lost dog running around the park looking for her/his owner, couldn't get it to come to me and couldn't find anyone looking for a dog. I was following it for a while but then lost sight of it. I do hope it's found it's owner and is alright.

Moyra another good idea will check that out, thanks.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Yeah they had to drive out of the floods in the land rover with a snorkel exhaust, Moyra
Well.... took Mabs and Keshi out, was feeling quite warm and my coat was open, within minutes of crossing the road on the way to the river the heavens opened, had to carry on. They had a chase around on the river, I just took one ball with me, that way they were in hot pursuit of whoever had the ball and it burnt off some of the excess energy they had built up. Came back soaked right through my coat, changed coats, back out again with Cariad and Lona, walk round for them, practically had to push Cariad out of the front door because she saw the weather and tried to come back in.
Then took Zen onto the tow path and back home through the village, she is really good on the lead, can't fault her, she was looking for her collie 'friend' thank goodness it wasn't out, the shire horses are in that field and they must have been checking them the other day, they'll probably have been earlier on.
Had a good clear out of yet more wet shavings and they've got nice dry fluffy ones. I have gone through 2 bales, just one left now, no way are they going to last the month, so I'll more than likely have to buy more by the end of the next week if it carries on like this.
Looking like it is a dry day on Sunday so will be able to get Zen to training.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Afternoon all. Very windy here again started blowing a gale as I left the hairdresser to go shopping. Some rain with it too.

Hoping everyone is tucked up safe and dry now.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Good day folks.
I've had a couple of changes of clothing today as well, June. Put all the shutters on the pigeon lofts so they'll all be cosy warm for the winter and spent the better part of 3 hours cleaning gutters and grids (all full of leaves) to stop anything flooding or overflowing.
I think the weather indicates a bit of frost etc. and wintry showers on high ground so better to be prpared for the worst. Although at the moment it has dried up and the wind dropped off a bit.
Picked up a little robin around lunchtime he was just sat under a clump of wallflower plants. I've put him in the corn store and given him some mealworms and a drink of water. Had a good look at him and there was absolutely no sign of any damage. Poked my head round the door just before coming back to the house and he was sat on a shelf - having eaten nearly all the mealies. There is an open ventilation section in there so if he chooses to leave he can - if not I've aquired a very tame robin. Thinking about it he may have had a close squeak with the sparrowhawk and with some small birds they are absolutely frozen with terror. Whatever it was he/she is safe now. I would love it if he decided to stay as I had one that lived in the store for a couple of years and it was cheeky beyond belief - never failed to bring a smile to my face.
Hope all have a good rest of day - I'll be back later so as always - bye fer now.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone, sorry I'm late!
Another really rough night here too. Surprised there was no obvious damage round abouts.
Well done LG, saving a little robins life. He will now cost you a fortune in mealworms
Had to whisk Brian off to the surgery this morning. He mentioned last night that his foot was sore. This morning it was red, hot, swollen and painful but under his foot not where his gout usually is.
The doc was a bit mystified but gave him tablets, ointment and advised ice and to keep it up for today. We have to go back if there is no improvement.
I've just noticed that the sky is quite blue, now it is time to get dark
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Lucky robin LG. Love them we have a cheeky one here and the thing I love most about him is when he sits on the handle of my dads old spade we kept and have dug into the garden.
Dad would of loved it.
Poor Brian Nippy Jen hope the foot settles down now and causes no more problems.

I thought hurricane Barney or Bertie or whatever its name was was supposed to of b******d off now. We keep getting amazing gusts of really strong wind.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone. Late today. Gave Tyto a bath to hopefully help with the itchies. Nippy has Brian maybe got a hair stuck in his foot? They can cause problems when they get stuck in the skin. Windy and wet here. Typical as the window cleaner came this morning. Supposed to be cold this weekend. I for one will be pleased as I much prefer cold weather. It may also kill off those pesky mites. have a good evening peeps. Sad about the Belgian shepherd, my daughter in the USA has one.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2015, 04:38 PM
We have got the gusts too Lynn, often accompanied by rain
I don't know Brenda. Both the doctor and I have really examined it and cant find anything.I know hairs are hard to see/find. The pain seems to be right inside if that makes sense.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Nippy - hope Brian is soon over this foot thing. My father suffered terribly from gout and it made the entire foot swell, the arch underneath was the worst bit for him - it used to come up like a huge beetroot. He used to take things called Eade's Pills (now banned) that used to help but he swore that he got as much relief from placing his foot in bowl of very hot water, containing Colman's English Mustard powder. Pehaps you know why this would help - I've no idea why. However, In Extremis, one will try anything.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >