View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry to hear you are having such problems with harvey and also that you suffer from depression. Its clear from your post how much you love him.

I hope the epilepsy meds work for him. If you want him upstairs , you could have a lookfor a babygate in second hand shops or car boot sales or even advertise for one cheap or free.

Best wishes , Alison
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hello Kenny and welcome
I am so so sorry to read about Harvey it must be very distressing for you.

A few points, you talk about 'lip licking' that can happen when a dog is feeling nauseous when it has kidney problems for example but you seem to have sorted that .

I am not sure what is going on with Harvey, it doesn't sound like the usual cases of epilepsy more like something neurological maybe with the shaking so it is not easy to make suggestions.

When Harvey is having 'an episode' I would keep him as quiet as possible and leave him alone rather than talking to him then just talk quietly and gently to him when he comes round.

You could try the crate in the bedroom but I would not want to go out and leave him alone in the crate . Is there someone who could stay with Harvey when you go out.

I can only suggest that you be guided by your vet, there are so many uncertainties here.

Please post whenever you need to , there are people here who understand how you must be feeling hugs..x

ETA this thread may be of interest to you..

Does your dog have Epilepsy?

and this one Members experience by Snorry....
Living with a dog with canine epilepsy
Hi meg,

Thanks for your kindness and the links which I will read later once Harv has settled for the night.

I've decided the crate is bad idea as even with the door open, he could hurt himself if he seizes while in it.

I dont have anyone who can be with him for me. I honestly dont have any friends as once people find out someone has mental health issues they tend to melt away. What family I do have is 230 miles away in Devon (I'm in Leicestershire) so its very hard.

In the back of my mind I dont think its epilepsy, I hope with all my heart and soul that it is as thats something that maybe could be controlled with Meds, but something just tells me its not.

I am worried that as my vet is young, she does not have the experience of dealing with this kind of situation.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
o my lord kenny, I am so sorry to hear about Harvey. You have come to the right place for advice, support and comfort. Most if not all of us on here have lost their beloved pets and will be more than happy to hold your hand if things deteriorate.

First and foremost though you must look after yourself because Harvey needs you hail and hearty, and you need a roof over your head for him so personally I would not allow him upstairs where the carpets are ... The last thing you need is eviction. Is it possible to rig up some sort of bed downstairs with him? You need your sleep, so your comfort is important. I don't know your financial circumstances of course but would you qualify for PDSA treatment which I believe is free?

Keep posting ... You will find that Dogsey will be very supportive x gNAshER x
Hi Gnasher

Thanks for the lovely words.

Yes, we cant go through an eviction for so many reasons, the most important one being Harvey. He knows this house as his so it would be enormously distressing to put him through that.

I think your suggestion of rigging some kind of bed on the floor is the way to go. Even if its just a duvet on the floor.
That way he can go into the kitchen and get water and relieve himself if he needs too. (Not ideal but better then upstairs)

I have been in touch with the PDSA, I telephoned the local branch on Friday and I am eligible for help. They said that they could examine Harv, blood tests to check his Kidney and they could dispense Meds (for a donation of course) but they also said they would be hesitant to interfere with what his usual vet has prescribed....

The lady I spoke to suggested going with the meds his vet has prescribed for a month and see how he does and how I feel.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Information here, I went to look for it ..

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-vet-care/eligibility
Thanks Meg
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Hi Kenny , just to say lots of hugs. As Gnasher says we've all been at this point and it's the worst time. I have 2 of my girls aged 9 and no its not that old for a dog that's been well looked after, mine still go out every day, walks are a bit shorter for them as they are a bit stiff in the mornings, but apart from that they are the same girls really, bit less Norty thank goodness. I lost my old girl Tawney, at around 10, due to a series of strokes and it wasn't fair to keep her going when she had no quality of life and things weren't going to improve for her. One thing struck me in your post, about excessive drinking, Tawney did the same, then her first minor stroke occurred a few months down the line, obviously an indication I should have picked up on, but just thought it was old age with her as not something I had experienced before. I have no advice I can give you as regards the anxiety he has suddenly presented, only have you a friend who could maybe come and sit with him because obviously its making the whole situation 10 times worse. If the epi meds can stabilise him then hopefully you'll get another couple of years with him before there are any life changing decisions made. If he is used to sleeping in the kitchen with you upstairs and is happy, why change it
Hi tawneywolf

Sorry to read about your sad experiences, I really am sorry but thank you for sharing with me.

I agree 9 is not old for a healthy dog and like yours he goes out everyday over the farmland that surrounds us here. He does not run like he used to but otherwise, on the walk, he is is usual old self.

My worry about the him in the kitchen and me upstairs thing is if he has a seizure during the night I will not hear it so he will come round without me there
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
Hi Kenny, I feel for you I really do. Like Gnasher said, you need to look after yourself and keep well, sounds like Harvey is trying to comfort you just as much as you are trying to comfort him. Thinking of you and please keep in touch. X
Hi popster

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate them.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Harv seems to be obsessing today, if he is in the front room he wants to go into the kitchen, if he is in the kitchen he wants to go into the front room, over and over.

The poor lad cant seem to settle down and he now keeps licking everything.

Took him for a walk this morning and he seemed fine, his old self apart from not as fast but here in the home he has tremors in his front legs again..
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Kenny, it just doesn't seem right you Jane no-one you can turn to to lend a helping hand and for that I'm sorry. Don't feel you have to reply individually to our posts, you have enough on your plate as it is. Just let us all know how things are going. Take care x to Harvey
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Don't know where Jane came from??? That should read 'have' auto correct??
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
Kenny, it just doesn't seem right you Jane no-one you can turn to to lend a helping hand and for that I'm sorry. Don't feel you have to reply individually to our posts, you have enough on your plate as it is. Just let us all know how things are going. Take care x to Harvey
Hi Popster

I'm sure I'm not the only person in my situation and Harvey really has been my best friend. The day he chose me at the RSPCA home was the day he saved me not the other way around.

He's having a sleepy spell at the moment, curled up as tight as a ball in his bed at the side of me.

Complete contrast to how he was earlier.

When he is sleeping I like to think he is not aware of anything
Page 2 of 62 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 > Last »