Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I'm not a wimp but altho' Bella submitted to nail clipping when a puppy there is NO WAY she will now and it's like trying to wrestle a wet fish and I'm scared I will injure her skinny lickle skeleton like legs!

But she is walked long enough on hard and gritty surfaces not to have needed them clipped for years now. Vet agrees she doesn't need it done.

If they get enough walking off grass their nails will stay short.

I definitely would not allow them to get overlong though. They can't just trim them back to where they should be - because the blood vessel or whatever inside grows down with the nail. They have to trim a little off and wait until it retracts before trimming more.

So I believe it is ESSENTIAL to keep your dog's nails trimmed to a reasonable length. I've seen dogs with their nails curling round sideways.
Lacey had an incident at the groomers once, her nail was cut to far down, it bleed for Ireland!!So now,she's a bit afraid. Her new groomer(sacked the last one) is fantastic.She has a great way with her resulting in less stress and a perfect pedicure. Love the wet fish description
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks everyone. The vet charges a consultation fee for everything. I am walking them twice a day on concrete to try and help file them down a bit as this kept Brownies nails from ever needing a trim. But Jade walks funny and it doesn't seem to help much.....
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 10:15 PM
She might be walking a bit funny because her nails are long if a dog's nails are too long it can affect their gait.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
She might be walking a bit funny because her nails are long if a dog's nails are too long it can affect their gait.
Never thought of that, though she was born with a weird hip... or it was crushed by her siblings or something and never formed properly (she was a runt) and her hind legs have always been weird. She also has a really splayed foot... which might be affecting her somewhat.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2