View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 08:39 PM

Friend's dog appears to be incontinent...

My friend's Newfoundland cross bitch appears to have become incontinent... she'll be lying down and just pee herself... she's only young - not quite two, and is spayed. She's not on any medication, and she's had a recent weakness in her back legs, basically not able to walk far or get up very easily- but that seems to be 100% cleared up now, we thought it was probably due to a very very strenuous day of walks and playing.

Anyway - I thought I'd ask on here for her, and see what her options are (obviously - vet) but if anyone has any advice or thoughts on what could be wrong and what should be tested for/checked, that'd be lovely.

I hope she's OK

xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Your friend should take her dog to see a vet - on both counts - the weakness in the legs and the sudden onset of her peeing in her sleep.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 08:45 PM
How old was she when she got spayed?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Hi Laura definitely one for the vet.
Even if the weakness seems better it would be wise to get it checked out also urinary incontinence is treatable with medication.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 09:18 PM
I quite agree with a vet visit - but I know from personal experience that a lot of vets need telling what to do... they frequently have no idea, and it can be a lot of fumbling in the dark, getting nowhere, when there's a much faster and simpler solution that no-one's trying.

It's like with the rats - forewarned is forearmed, and we always go to the vet knowing what we want them to test for/medicate with etc etc so basically, just asking for some advice as to what the potential problem *could* be - what are the likely illnesses/problems that could be causing it, and how would the vet test for and treat those?

Have asked how old she was when spayed, from memory though, I think about 6 months?

xx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 09:45 PM
So many things it could be,spay incontinence,urinary tract infection, bladder infection, nerve disorder,etc,etc you could just go on and on. She could have injured herself,hence the weakness in her back legs or that could be due to infection.Best left to the professionals! I wish her well
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
She was spayed at 6 months as per vet's instruction.

xx
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2013, 06:45 AM
I have a St Bernard who has had urinary incontinence from about 3 years old. She used to wet herself when asleep. She also drinks huge amounts. She was tested for all sorts but they couldn't find anything wrong so we assume its from the spay operation, as this can happen. She's on medication which controls the sphincter muscles and works pretty well, with no apparent side effects.

So I'd agree your friend definitely needs to take her to the vet obviously, but incontinence itself is manageable. You can also get dog nappies etc if necessary.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Before jumping to conclusions get the vet to check for a UTI - urinary tract infection/ cystitis. If theyre very irritated & sore they can get tbe symptoms you are describing. Antibiotics clear it