View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Oh Gill, your post has almost broken my heart, I can just imagine how bad you feel seeing her so helpless like this

I understand your concerns about keeping her quiet in the crate, but what with catching that leg like she did, maybe she might be better on something really, really soft, like an old duvet folded over, a thick winter one, to lie on next to you somewhere, afterall, she can't really go anywhere can she? You can always put a waterproof mattress cover over it, before putting a final topping on the top which can be washed easily if she has an accident.

I'm not surprised you struggled with the towel thing cos it needs two people to do that with a dog so heavy, we've done it in the past after ops.

You're in spain where they have tiles everywhere aren't you? Is there a utility or something that you can leave her in there on her soft bed, lots of paper on the floor and the door open for if she feels she wants to take herself out there, but then you don't want that do you, but you'd hear her anyway and have time to come and help her out there?

Not much help am I, but I feel so desperately sorry for you in this situation, but it can only get better, day by day as her back end improves.

These dogs don't like to mess indoors ever do they, so she will obviously try to get herself out there. Is there somewhere safe you can make up a comfy bed OUTside where you can see her or sit with her? I just done know what to offer to help, you need your hubby back don't you

LOts of ((((hugs)))), at least she's where she wants to be back at home with you in a place she knows. I expect she's well doped up on her drugs and the best thing for her is to just sleep and sleep for the time being. All the best with her Gill.xxxx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-06-2013, 04:06 PM
I know it isn't exactly the same, but when I had Cariad spayed a few months ago (she weighs over 40kg) I used a puppy playpen (obviously with the door off) so she was out of the way but had an easier way of getting out than if she was in a crate. I put puppy pads down for her, which she didn't actually use. However she has used them when she has had puppies, I put plastic sheeting down, newspapers and then 3 pads overlapping on top so as to make sure it is more or less contained and is easy to clear up. I have never used the puppy play pen for puppies, but it hasn't half come in handy for various other dog related purposes!!!
I am hoping she gets through all this OK, they do seem to be able to cope with major surgery better than we humans do that's for sure.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks both, will consider the puppy pads maybe. Helena-she's not supposed to put any weight on her back legs and she is well enough to stumble about albeit dragging her leg -she won't stay in one place so I think the crate is the best place for her to be honest. She is on a nice blanket in there and when she needs to come out of the crate I've put the quilt over the bottom of the door of the crate so she can't get caught or stuck... she came out again earlier when we attempted to take her outside and didn't hurt herself, but was quite distressed about all the messing about I think. As you say, like most Shepherds, she is a very clean girl and will no doubt hold on as long as she can.
My husband is away until the 11th June so I have just got to get on with it myself which is daunting and I shall just have to manage as best I can. I have just ordered a steam mop - no doubt that will help with any accidents we may or may not have. One of the other issues is that I am currently fostering a 9 week old pup who was left for dead at the rescue I help with. We have been on a rota system since she arrived 12 days ago as Jake won't tolerate another creature! and I didn't want her chasing after Ailsa so that is an added extra to the situation. The pup got her tongue caught in the puppy crate when she first arrived and shredded her tongue. That involved much trauma and travelling about and now Ailsa!! this afternoon I feel quite strange - light headed and a bit disoriented - maybe it's the stress kicking in???? oh well, as has been said onward and upward eh? thanks for the support, it makes such a difference. xxx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Gill, just wanted to say what a fantastic effort you are making, and being on your own can not be easy since Ailsa is a big dog.

As Helena says these dogs do not like to mess inside, if it happens it makes them nervous, but if you put plastic sheets down you can always go over the floor with the steam mop latter.

I am hoping that the hardest time is now and that in a one or two days she will have gained enough strength to go outside when she needs to and then things will be a little easier for you.

I really admire you and hope that soon Ailsa will start to recover and be back to her normal self and you can relax a bit.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2013, 09:19 PM
My heart goes out to you Gill - it must be so stressful for you just now, worrying about Ailsa and trying to help your foster puppy too. One thing is certain, Ailsa could not hope for a better carer than yourself - the love you have for her shines through every post you make. I smiled when you mentioned that Ailsa had been 'talking' to you - it brought back such fond memories of a GSD I had a number of years ago who could 'talk' for Scotland
I wish I could think of some way to make things easier for you and Ailsa - it must be so difficult for you to support her on your own.
I do hope that her condition improves with time and please take good care of yourself during this difficult time.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 09:32 PM
(((Hugs))) to you and Ailsa.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Hoping you both had a good night and that Ailsa is feeling a lot stronger today. I do hope you're coping Gill.xxx
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Monday morning:- Morning everyone. Had complete meltdown on phone to hubby last night. Went to bed and Ailsa was crying and distressed. Wasn't sure whether it was pain or whether she needed the toilet or what..... although it wasn't time for her meds (another 2 hours really) I gave them to her with some rice and chicken and took her out of the crate.
She immediately stopped crying, had a drink which she wouldn't before and after kind of hovering about for a minute or two with me holding her rear end up as best I could she laid down and went to sleep for the night. I put newspaper down and this morning she had a large pee... so that's a result.... so that's what I am doing now. She is out of the crate but more of less boxed in so she can't wander about too much. She can see the countryside out of the patio doors, the windows are open and she is lying by the side of the bed quietly. Hopefully this will be the answer and she will improve daily. I would just like to say a big thank you for all your support; it really really has helped me knowing that people who really empathise with my situation are advising and supporting me and thinking of her. Thank you thank you thank you xxxxxx Gill
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Hi Gill
That was great to read that you are somehow coping to get Ailsa through all this. I have been trying to come up with a solution to your predicament, ie small owner, big dog
I went through various wheeled devices, ie baby buggy, cut the top off a pram, maybe a wheel barrow? Had visions of you wheeling Ailsa around the neighborhood.
Its really difficult and i feel for you. Glad we helped in some small way with support and suggestions. Keep us posted.
Here is a link to various devices, not sure if any would help you?
https://www.dogmobile-online.com/?gc...FavHtAodFmcA9A
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Hi Gill
That was great to read that you are somehow coping to get Ailsa through all this. I have been trying to come up with a solution to your predicament, ie small owner, big dog
I went through various wheeled devices, ie baby buggy, cut the top off a pram, maybe a wheel barrow? Had visions of you wheeling Ailsa around the neighborhood.
Its really difficult and i feel for you. Glad we helped in some small way with support and suggestions. Keep us posted.
Here is a link to various devices, not sure if any would help you?
https://www.dogmobile-online.com/?gc...FavHtAodFmcA9A
Thanks Apache. I think I am just going to take it a day at a time to be honest with you and hopefully each day she will become a bit stronger. The lady who runs the Rescue has offered to take the foster puppy into her own house for the duration until she goes to Germany and although I will miss her I think it will probably be for the best. I can then concentrate on Ailsa. Thank you so much for all your entertaining ideas though, brought a smile to my face
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >