Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shell2468
New Member!
Female 

23-03-2013, 08:30 PM

Tuna fish for dogs

Hi everyone,

Question...Is tuna fish healthy for dogs to eat. I was told my bulldog w/allergies would be better off eating food with fish so I as curious if I mix tuna fish in with there dry food (Taste of The Wild) if that's healthy.

If anyone has tried it or has any opinions I would love to hear from you.

Thank you and I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Michele
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I feed tuna, sardines, pilchards and mackerel quite regularly. I don't feed dried food at all, just rinse and drain the fish if it is in brine, then add cottage cheese and bio yogurt, I also feed steamed veg as well
shell2468
New Member!
Female 

23-03-2013, 08:44 PM
do you used canned tuna or all fresh? Have you noticed a difference in their skin/scratching if they ever had problems?

thank you!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Hello Shell, if you have been advised to feed fish because of an allergy problem then you really do have to eliminate all animal proteins from the diet.........with some dogs, such as mine, it is not only animal proteins that cause itching etc., but also cereals and grains. It's not the addition of fish to the diet that helps dogs with allergies, it is the exclusion of everything else BUT fish and vegetables.

As Tawneywolf said, you can mix your choice of fish with veg, such as potatoes, carrots, peas, anything really, and if after a couple of weeks on this diet things improve, then you could try adding a little yogurt or cheese but if animal proteins are the problem then this could set off the itching again. There are various fish kibbles on the market too, but be careful because some of them also contain rice or chicken.

Don't forget those treats too.........fish skins are good (Fish4dogs do a range of treats made of these) or raw carrots.

Good luck
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-03-2013, 08:58 PM
I use tinned fish as I couldn't afford to buy fresh. If you mix with potato then it needs to be cooked
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I use tinned fish as I couldn't afford to buy fresh. If you mix with potato then it needs to be cooked
You are making me hungry now TW

Fresh tuna is way too expensive isn't it, but any tinned fish or those value packs of white fish or salmon in the freezer section at the supermarket will do just fine.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 02:32 PM
tuna is ok, but doesnt hold much nutritional value. if youre going to mix fish in you would be better mixing in sardines or pilachards. also make sure you avoid tins with brine in.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't feed mine canned tuna as depending where it comes from it can contain high levels of mercury. They do have sardines and pilchards though but by far their favourite is fresh or frozen mackeral which I cook in the microwave. The dogs have all the meat and the cat gets the heads and skin ... she thinks she's in heaven!
shell2468
New Member!
Female 

26-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions. Sorry it took me a while to thank you all but I've been out of the loop for a bit.

I switch my dogs to Taste of The Wild wet mixed w/the dry but one of my bulldogs is still scratching at his face/ears. I am now trying to mix tuna fish w/the dry.

Hope it works...hate seeing him scratching/uncomfortable.

Thanks again!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 06:42 PM
If it IS food related, then I doubt that what you are currently doing will make a scrap of difference. As I said before - fish only helps if it is used as the ONLY protein; adding Tuna or any other fish to a diet which contains animal proteins and cereals does nothing whatsoever.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >