Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Islam is a religion, it is not against freedom of speech. I too am very familiar with Islam having lived in the Middle East for 15 years.

Islam, like Judaism and Christianity and other religiions are filled with intolerant individuals.

As for hate filled mobs, I refer you to the National Front and similar organisations.
Yep, they are scum, however I can't quite remember the last time they made news all over the world, marching in their millions calling for death to all who oppose the name of Jesus
As distrust and suspicion, I wonder why this has developed in the Middle East over the years?

It could not possibly be related to the British, Christian, white colonialists which oppressed many in the past?

Really? REALLY? That's as bad as those who appear in court 'sorry gov'nor, I didn't mean to beat up the old granny and rob her of all her savings. It's 'cause I was badly treated as a kid meself like'. Balderdash, there comes a time when these excuses don't wash, and people have to take responsibility for their own actions!
Surely not, they were all tolerant of the residents and their religions and ways, just as we are now?
And no, we're not perfect, but we're a damn sight more tolerant than societies where 11yr old children get arrested for damaging a book. Where Christians have to worship in secret because of the threat to them. Where women are stoned to death because of alleged discretions. Where women can't drive, vote or leave the home without being draped in a bloody bed sheet!

I'm not going to say anymore, because I'll end up getting drawn in to a long argument and I have no wish to.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
And no, we're not perfect, but we're a damn sight more tolerant than societies where 11yr old children get arrested for damaging a book. Where Christians have to worship in secret because of the threat to them. Where women are stoned to death because of alleged discretions. Where women can't drive, vote or leave the home without being draped in a bloody bed sheet!

I'm not going to say anymore, because I'll end up getting drawn in to a long argument and I have no wish to.
You are quoting individual incidents which occur in selected countries under selective governments.

For example, Muslim women in most countries can drive, the exception being Saudi Arabia, they can also vote and as for leaving home without being draped in a bloody bed sheet...............

Are all Christians defined by those who belong to denominations which prefer their children to DIE rather than be given a blood transfusion?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-09-2012, 10:03 AM
[
Oh sorry I did not realise that we had suddenly put in timelines.

So, you are asserting that in the 21st century no Christians have persecuted and murdered those of other faiths?
Well considering the thread refers to "these times" what with "you tube " being the instigator of debate, I thought one would realise we are talking NOW" not Past.

I am saying Christianity has far more tolerance to other faiths than Islam, we do not go round killing individuals because they burnt a bible, or make a funny/insulting film about Christ.

Atrocities will always arise around the world, some with the excuse of faith behind them, but it seems its Islam only that stirs up such hysteria that spreads across the world to riot , murder, blow up planes, people, teaching hatred for anyone that does not follow their befiefs.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
[

I am saying Christianity has far more tolerance to other faiths than Islam, we do not go round killing individuals because they burnt a bible, or make a funny/insulting film about Christ.

Atrocities will always arise around the world, some with the excuse of faith behind them, but it seems its Islam only that stirs up such hysteria that spreads across the world to riot , murder, blow up planes, people, teaching hatred for anyone that does not follow their befiefs.

It is not ISLAM that stirs up hysteria anymore than any faith does, it is people. Individuals who intepret what they read for their own purposes (hence the number of denominations in Christianity, sects in Islam, parts of Judaism, etc etc )

Islam does not teach hatred for anyone that does not follow Islam at all.

That is something that the uneducated have been led to believe by the equally uneducated and/or those who have a specific axe to grind.

People use Islam as a vehicle for their own ends, just as they use other religions for vehicles for their own ends.

We need to be careful about sweeping generalisations don't we.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2012, 10:26 AM

It is not ISLAM that stirs up hysteria anymore than any faith does, it is people. Individuals who intepret what they read for their own purposes (hence the number of denominations in Christianity, sects in Islam, parts of Judaism, etc etc )

Islam does not teach hatred for anyone that does not follow Islam at all.

That is something that the uneducated have been led to believe by the equally uneducated and/or those who have a specific axe to grind.

People use Islam as a vehicle for their own ends, just as they use other religions for vehicles for their own ends.

We need to be careful about sweeping generalisations don't we.
Which I stated earlier on.

The problem being its "Islam" and their "Prophet " that is used to justify all the atrocities they commit around the world.

I am glad you mentioned the uneducated, (not politically correct to say these people are such) as its this oppression that keeps them in the past, and does not allow them to move themselves or their beliefs forward to today's world.

The problem is Islam (the religion) is shrouded by all the hatred that flows out of their actions around the world.

Those are not sweeping statements/generalisations . those are facts.

The world sees Islam as a threat, because its terrorism (carried out by fanatics) has no boundries.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 10:34 AM

The problem being its "Islam" and their "Prophet " that is used to justify all the atrocities they commit around the world.

I am glad you mentioned the uneducated, (not politically correct to say these people are such) as its this oppression that keeps them in the past, and does not allow them to move themselves or their beliefs forward to today's world.

The problem is Islam (the religion) is shrouded by all the hatred that flows out of their actions around the world.

Those are not sweeping statements, those are facts.

The world sees Islam as a threat, because its terrorism (carried out by fanatics) has no end.
There is nothing politically incorrect about describing people as uneducated.

I am uneducated about astrophysics, that is nothing to be ashamed of.

But I have no opinions on the subject or its experts, good or otherwise and neither do I offer them up.

Unlike some with regard to Islam.

The fact still remains that terrorism is not the prerogative of a particular religion, nationality, race or culture.

And of course sensationalism is good for audience numbers, and it sells newspapers.

I lived in Lebanon during the war for 8 years and it never ceased to amaze me that magazines such as Newsweek, Time as well as the BBC broadcast total inaccuracies (to put it kindly) about many of the incidents there.

It is easy to film a few people shouting and burning a flag and to persuade others that this is representative of the population at large.

It is done all the time, and it is also done here in the UK.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2012, 10:54 AM
T

The fact still remains that terrorism is not the prerogative of a particular religion, nationality, race or culture.
Your right, BUT sadly its one particular religion that is at the centre of the biggest global terrorism threat we face in today`s world,
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
a
How about the systematic destruction of "savages" in North America, (Australia, Africa and South America too)
I thought that was more to do with greed and land, not religion.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Your right, BUT sadly its one particular religion that is at the centre of the biggest global terrorism threat we face in today`s world,
Is it? Who said? or is it the one that is PERCEIVED to be?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Is it? Who said? or is it the one that is PERCEIVED to be?
Is`nt it ??
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >