Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
Is this not the exact thing we are talking about here, the ability to have freedom of speech and how Islam seems to be in direct opposition to this?

I am a practicing Christian, very tolerant of others, I don't believe one religion on this planet has all the answers and we each have to answer to our own individual conciences and God. However in todays society, if you are white, British and of a Christian denomination it seems it is perfectly ok to have the P ripped out of you, but if you dared to do the same to anyone of a minority (in this country) religion, then you will be accused of racism, bigotry and intolerance. How is this just? But even so, you don't see much of the flag burning, hate filled mobs filling the streets of London screaming for the heads of the powers that be in the Middle East, or crying for the death of all infidels!!

Islam is a peaceful religion from what I have studied, and I have studied it rather well along with most other religions as I have a great need to understand others. However it has been corrupted and twisted, much as Christianity was in the middle ages, but we have grown past that, for the most part, and yes I know about Christian extremists too, Islam does not appear to WANT to move forward and develop an understanding and peace with others. It has stagnated and become polluted with the views of the intolerant and quite frankly, the insane! If it wishes to return to it's roots, per se, then the moderate, quiet Muslims MUST develop a voice and DEMAND that the attrocities stop, and that they are not done in their name. Until such a time, then I'm afraid muslims within this, and other countries, will be viewed with suspicion and distrust by many.

Islam is a religion, it is not against freedom of speech. I too am very familiar with Islam having lived in the Middle East for 15 years.

Islam, like Judaism and Christianity and other religiions are filled with intolerant individuals.

As for hate filled mobs, I refer you to the National Front and similar organisations.

As distrust and suspicion, I wonder why this has developed in the Middle East over the years?

It could not possibly be related to the British, Christian, white colonialists which oppressed many in the past?

Surely not, they were all tolerant of the residents and their religions and ways, just as we are now?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
go ahead.......

Let us start with the Crusades then..........
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Then we can have the ethnic cleansing of the muslims in Bosnia by the Serbs in 1992

Or has that particular genocide slipped your memory?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:35 AM
The Christian world do not go round murdering innocent human beings in the name of religion.
WHAT!

rune
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
and move on to the war between Northern and Southern Ireland? didn't that go on for a couple of hundred years give or take a few...

How about the systematic destruction of "savages" in North America, (Australia, Africa and South America too)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:37 AM
And of course we have not even touched on the Holocaust..............
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Past tense, we are talking the 21 century
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

Religion is not the problem people are. People can believe in what they like but the world has evolved at different rates.the western world has moved forward far quicker than the east yet the communication all over the worlds the same meaning the east is shown a world it is not ready for and the west is shown a world it no longer agrees with.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:38 AM
All religions have been guilty of intolerance , and carried out atrocities , but the difference is for most, they have moved with the time and now don't torture, kill , oppress others with different faiths.
Ah, so you are now contradicting your previous statement!

Unfortunatley the latter part of your statement is still inaccurate.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Past tense, we are talking the 21 century

Oh sorry I did not realise that we had suddenly put in timelines.

So, you are asserting that in the 21st century no Christians have persecuted and murdered those of other faiths?
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >