Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 11:55 AM

Third Attack

Some of you might remember that on one of our routes, we have twice met a woman with two little Jack Russells, and both times they have gone for Loki for no reason and with no provocation. They are both off the lead and one is the leader - he appears from behind hedges/long grass in the fields and the other follows him and barks a lot. The last time, the woman grabbed the ring leader as he was chucking himself at Loki, shouted and smacked him , and told me he is always doing this. Someone else has told me about these two fellas too.

Well it happened again. Same place and the JR's appeared from nowhere and the leader literally launched himself onto Loki and attacked him. The other times, Loki has reacted in outrage but not too badly, but he must be sick to death of it because before I knew it, he had the JR on its back and his mouth around his neck.

I'm getting fed up with this and am not sure what to do about it. I don't want Loki bitten and I don't want him biting the other dog either. He was on the lead, btw.

I am such a coward, I feel I should have demanded that she keep her dog on a lead at all times if he keeps attacking other dogs (especially mine!) but I was quiet as I was worried that Loki might have hurt him. He hadn't - I guess he was just giving a show of strength to warn the JR not to mess with him, trouble is it doesn't work and the little chappie comes back for more. I don't want a row with her either and I can't force her to keep him on a lead. I understand too that she wants them to be able to run in the country but she could at least keep them under control until she gets further out. Arghghgh! Really annoyed with myself.

It sounds ridiculous, a little JR trying to pick a fight with my big boy. Why is he doing it?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 12:01 PM
It sounds ridiculous, a little JR trying to pick a fight with my big boy. Why is he doing it?

'cause they are terriers. Would report it to your local dog warden so they can take a look for themselves, they will then, with luck, talk to the owner about how to keep the dog(s) under control.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 12:02 PM
cos he is a jack russell !! LOL

No only kidding - but at the end of the day LS then you can only do as much as possible, I have this all the time being that Brunster is always on lead - but you have him on lead so if this JR comes to harm from Loki - then this woman doesnt have a leg to stand on as her dogs are not under contriol, and whilst this is not the outcome that you may want, it may be the only one that will make this woman realise she cant just let her dogs attack just cos they are small.

Perhaps the thing to do would be to simply say it to her like that - if she doesnt keep her dogs under control then you cant be responsible what Loki does and because he is such a big dog he could seriously hurt her dog and then maybe she will pay more attention.

Failing that - if she wont listen then you have to simply ignore it and if it occurs again then hope the JR has learnt his lesson from this occassion as if this is the first time LOki has dominated him then the JR might think twice.
Sorry - but my feling is that you must confront this woman - it doesnt have to be unpleasant just explain that she is putting her dogs in danger of possibly being killed !
Dani
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 12:05 PM
aww lucky star i am really sorry to hear that you have a stressful time when walking loki with these two dogs attacking loki its not very nice and could turn nasty surely this woman should realize what her dogs are always doing i know loki is a big dog and like you said you dont want loki to get hurt or fight back this woman dosent seem to have any control or understanding to other dog walkers how would she like it if some other dog attacked hers all the time its just not on and i wouldnt stand for it anymore kindly have a word with her and explain whats happening
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Ask her politley to put her dogs on a lead it is the law in the uk unless you can control them. If she fails to do this report her to the dog warden. Do not let her get away with it or they will carry on and bite/attack another dog.

Jrt's can do plenty of damage just as any dog can if they are spoilt/not trained. I hate irresponsible dog owners
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Poor Loki,
and you lot, this is coming froma JRT owner, someone whose aunt bred them for 20 odd years, generally i am a huge JRT lover, but they can be right little ******s when it comes to other dogs, they are a breed that are basically control freaks, and if they arent in control, arent the boss, arent in centre ofattention then they arent happy, JRT's are usually fine on their own, but when they are kept with multiple JRT's they get this thing where they think they are the pack and everything and everyone else is wron and a threat.
JRT's are abreed that never give in, never tire and when they have their target they will do all they can... and i dare to say it LS, but they wont stop until they have enialated their target.
Loki could be an irish Wolfhound and it wouldnt matterJRT's are a breed that have no fear but to man itself, and even this is usually rare!
The only thing i canb reccomend is either ringing the local dog warden, or trying to find the owner of the dogs, otherwise then this their is little i can offer. perhaps taking Loki on a different route, but then i dont see why you and Loki should have to surrender your walkies jsut because of some loose terrors.
Another thing about JRT's , naturally they are a very dominant and over possesive breed, they often demonstrate these characteristics from a young age, and it is a hard part of JRT ownership to break it when young, but as JRT pups are a very cuyte pup, moreso even than most!!!
People often find it entertaining to see the little terrier pups mauling their visistors or other dogs on walkies. This is what i expect the problem with the little offenders themselves.
Hope this helps a little
Best wishes
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks everyone, I needed a rant. The other JR looks a real sweetie but is being lead astray, I think, and trying to be like his mate. From what I understand, she hasn't had the 'leader' long but they are well known in the village over there.

This is one of our favourite walks as it is right on our doorstep and you can walk for miles in the fields, so I'd be loath to stop going. I do vary our walks though, so we're not there every day, and I've tried different times. Althugh, one time she was there at 7 am! :smt102 .

Yes, you're all right, I will have to say something next time. I will be polite and explain that this is getting beyond the joke, (I'm getting paranoid - are they lying in wait for us??? ), that since she can't control them, they should be on a lead for their own safety, apart from that of other dogs'.

I am annoyed with her and myself but I gotta admire the JR's spirit. The size of them ...

Careful - it's a jungle out there.
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Poor Loki as most of the others have said just politley ask this woman to keep them under control if she fails to do so then report her. I wouldn't personally generalise about a certain breed as I have met so many JRT's that do not have the charecteristics which some on this thread have mentioned. Like any dog in this world I believe it is how they are brought up/trained. As Jake has said any dog has the potential to be troublesome if they are not brought up correctly. I have been around many JRT's in my lifetime who are great with other JRT's and other breeds and live together in harmony.

The main thing is Loki is ok keep him that way LS and sort that awful irresponsible owner out.
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 01:18 PM
aww lucky star,, poor loki
my lil nemos mum was JRT and he can be quite snappy at times but i am very firm in telling him what acceptable and whats not, and if he ever attacked another dog i would be so ebarassed,, she should keep her dogs on a lead if they cant be trusted.
think you gunna have to toughen up hun and tell this lady to get her dogs under control or you will be forced to report her

hope it all works out ok for you x x x x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys.
Love Weedy Linda
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »