View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 10:07 PM

Making a dog hairless (shaving, waxing etc)

Is this true, I saw it in dogs today, and they were talking about Chinese cresteds, so I thought that I would ask, has anyone seen or heard of this happening before, as surely a powder puff is still a good CC, and its natural, so why would people do this? Or is it about hairless dogs with some fuzz where there meant to be hairless? I'm just wanting to get more info to see whether its true or not before judging people though, as to me it seems wierd.

But I will write a bit more about what I read, some of it was saying that some people shave the dogs, and then put a depilatory cream on them, and others wax or use epilators on them, and I just don't understand it all, and if its true why isn't it stopped?

P.s hope this is in the right section.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
I just did a quick google, and came up with this link, is it really that common?

Commonly used methods include a man's razor and hypoallergenic shaving cream, waxing, and electric razors. Some people have had success with hair removal cream, although one should be sure to apply an amount to a small test area to be sure no adverse reaction occurs.
http://dogs.y2u.co.uk/Dog_Chinese_Crested.htm
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2010, 08:53 AM
your right in what your saying,

the 'hairless' type are often fuzzy so people tend to shave them for shows and so on. Its not something I would fancy doing to a dog though.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2010, 09:00 AM
At Bath Ch show I saw a woman razoring and plucking a poor dobes whiskers. Like to have plucked hers.
Wearywolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi

The shaving of a dogs whiskers is mandatory for dogs that are being shown, its part of the breed standard set by the kennel club.

Chinese crested dogs come in two types with hair or hairless. The fully haired dog has become more common in the show ring, whilst the hairless version (the dogs still have a little bit of hair around the face, feet and tail.

with regards to shaving etc, this might be used for the odd hair, the chinese crested's do not have the hair follicles to produce the hair, therefore on the large part of the body this will remain hairless, the odd hair will of course be trimmed up and shaved just like any other breed for showing or as a pet cut, but no other dogs would be cut that short!

The waxing, and mens shaving foam i've never heard of before and I am a groomer.

Id assume if that the shaving foam is used, its probably to protect the skin, however I wouldnt be inclined to use a human product on a dog, as the ph balance of the skin from human to dog is different!

It might be worth looking for a chinese crested breeder and ask them for a more definative answer.

Hope this helps.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wearywolf View Post
Hi

The shaving of a dogs whiskers is mandatory for dogs that are being shown, its part of the breed standard set by the kennel club.

Chinese crested dogs come in two types with hair or hairless. The fully haired dog has become more common in the show ring, whilst the hairless version (the dogs still have a little bit of hair around the face, feet and tail.

with regards to shaving etc, this might be used for the odd hair, the chinese crested's do not have the hair follicles to produce the hair, therefore on the large part of the body this will remain hairless, the odd hair will of course be trimmed up and shaved just like any other breed for showing or as a pet cut, but no other dogs would be cut that short!
The waxing, and mens shaving foam ive never heard of before and I am a groomer.

Id assume if that the shaving foam is used, its probably to protect the skin, however I wouldnt be inclined to use a human product on a dog, as the ph balance of the skin from human to dog is different!

It might be worth looking for a chinese crested breeder and ask them for a more definative answer.

Hope this helps.
Sorry thats not true, the CC although is hairless it is not completely hairless, (and does have hair follicles , thats why they have so many problems with their skin) apart from the furnishings, the body WILL grow a downy hair, (rather like a babies first hair) and this is what is taken off, either by shaving, or hair removal cream...not heard of anyone waxing though.

The Powder puff, although is becoming more acceptable, is shaved by some exhibitors to make them into hairless ... you can tell a shaved PP a mile off in the ring, because it has perfect furnishings and so much of it.

the problem with the CC is if it is truly hairless (apart from the furnishings) it effects the teeth, (something to do with the gene) so to get good teeth, a hairy hairless is desired, and then shaved.

You need to shave off the body hair and face on a weekly basis to keep them show quality.

So Chaz, what yo urea dis correct. they also suffer with skin problems (spots) and thats another story on how to keep them at bay.

Was the article by Jemima Harrison, because she has been on a witch hunt of the breed for a while now, and exhibitors where warned of her interest on their breed, as she was planning an "out" at Crufts.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Wearywolf View Post
Hi

The waxing, and mens shaving foam i've never heard of before and I am a groomer.

Hope this helps.
Could you reitterate whether you mean for a specific breed? If not then it's not true, some people do remove the whiskers, apparently it adds to 'expression' but it's not mandatory and I don't know anyone who does this.

As for the Chinese Cresteds, yes there are 'hairy hairless' and these will often be shaved on the fluffy bits. I can't imagine anyone waxing though. The vast majority of show people car deeply for their dogs and wouldn't put them through painful experiences such as waxing.
Wearywolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
I never said they were completely hairless, note that I stated they have the hair on the feet, face and tail! I merely stated that the odd hair may grow on the body and this might be shaved off!

The Powderpuff look amazing!

and yes they will be more inclined to skin complaints as there is no major hair coverage for the dogsbody to protect the skin!

and it is true that they do not have the right chemical makeup as other dogs would to grow the hair, I got that first hand off a very reputable vet, and I have also read into it, via veterinary text books! So I will ignore your comment! We are all entitled to our opinnions and as this is a forum Im just passing on what I know, im not here to be told wether one word I have said on here is wrong! But I certainly wouldnt use waxing products on a dog, hell no way!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Could you reitterate whether you mean for a specific breed? If not then it's not true, some people do remove the whiskers, apparently it adds to 'expression' but it's not mandatory and I don't know anyone who does this.

As for the Chinese Cresteds, yes there are 'hairy hairless' and these will often be shaved on the fluffy bits. I can't imagine anyone waxing though. The vast majority of show people car deeply for their dogs and wouldn't put them through painful experiences such as waxing.
I have to agree, waxing a dog is something , that none of my friends with CC`s woudl resort to.

Shaving is another matter some shave with either wet or electric shavers, and some use hair removal,
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 08:28 PM
whataflipping joke, you arent allowed to use chalk or haispray but you can wax your dog/. Give me a break.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »