Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 06:15 PM

'Experienced' owners

Hi everyone, I'm considering getting a dog in the next year or so and I've now come across the issue of whether to get a dog from a breeder or rehome one from a shelter.

I'd be looking for a chihuahua and I have found one actually (My mum and I are wondering whether to take the plunge and go and visit him or whether it's too soon for us) but from what I've seen when looking at the adverts for dogs, centres seem to be mainly looking for 'experienced' homes. Do you think the fact that I haven't had a dog before would put off any prospective shelters?

In all other aspects I think we would be perfect for a rescue dog as there is someone at home at all times, it is only me and my mum in the house so it is a very quiet household, we don't have any other dogs or cats (Although we do have a very old guinea pig who lives in my room and only goes out on nice days) and we live very close to lots of nice walks as well as having a medium sized enclosed back garden.

Does anyone have any personal experience of having a rescue as their first dog? Or maybe an opinion on my situation as someone who works for a rescue centre? I'm just worried that I'll fall in love with a dog only to be turned down when they find out I'm a first time dog owner!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 07:00 PM
I think it would depend on the dog.

My first dog was a rescue so then I was a fist time dog owner.

Experience may be required if you are taking on a dog with a lot of issues, but not all rescues have big issues.

I would speak to the centre first and find out their views
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 07:12 PM
My first dog was a rescue......she's wonderful...a welsh collie. I've since adopted 3 other rescues and every single one of them is wonderful. It's as though they know what you've done for them. I would only ever get rescues now. However I am lucky to have such good dogs......some are more difficult. That said.....about a year after I rescued my 2 lurchers they were runners up in a dog show and they got that prize because apparently they were two of the most difficult dogs they've had to rehome!!!!! It came as a complete surprise to me as they are divine!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I think you should try, for one how do you prove or disprove an ''experienced'' owner...

Obviously they have to hope your truthful, and experience can be alot or limited, someone could of had only one dog in thier life or several dogs that doesn't neccessary mean experienced.

I think if you can offer a home where there is someone around and you show your committed,with TLC on offer and with sense then thats half way there to being a good home....well IMO
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the quick replies everyone, I think maybe I was just worrying about nothing! It's good to know that a lot of you have had good experiences with rehoming despite being first time owners as well because lately I've heard a lot about people being turned away. The dog I was interested in adopting is seemingly perfect other than being animal aggressive (I think that's what it's called?) which wouldn't be a problem for me as we live out in the sticks with very few other animals around and I don't have any other dogs or cats.

I'm going to call the centre (Dog's Trust) again tomorrow anyway to see what they say and hopefully arrange a visit so fingers crossed
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 07:48 AM
i would deff go out and have a look

the dogs trust can be a little strict, looking for my first dog i saw one on the internet that melted my heart
six months later he was still there so i went in

nope he needed an experienced owner
as did the lovelt three legged collie i asked about

they then showed me to the puppy wing to see some older puppies but ben decided to come home with me

go along and look but dont be surprised if a totaly different dog chooses you
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Go to any rescue and be straight with them. They will probably show the most suitable dogs for you.

I often think a rescue dog is the best bet for a new owner and you can get dogs with a known history, you know how big it is, some are already house trained. Many are simply looking for a new home because their owner has moved house or died. Not all of them have 'problems'. The dog will also be health checked, fully vaccinated, neutered and most likely micro-chipped.

If you want a chiauha (sorry can't spell!) there are breed rescues but they do have waiting lists.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Thank you BenMcFuzzyLugs and Leopard_Print for the quick and informative replies! It is really useful to hear some personal experiences and opinions as I have absolutely no idea what to expect with rescue dogs and shelters.

I have had to rule out Dogs Trust for the time being I think as I didn't realise quite how far away the nearest centre is (3 hrs or so by train, longer by car) and my mum has said she doesn't think she is confident enough to drive there and I wouldn't feel I was being fair to ask her to do something she wasn't happy doing, especially with a nervous dog in the car! However, I have decided to bite the bullet after all the advice I have received on here and have looked into some more local shelters and have got in contact with one in Nottingham who have a few small dogs looking for homes and me and my mum are going to have a look round tomorrow

I must admit, I didn't think it would all happen quite this fast, I was expecting it to take a lot longer! Although I suppose It will probably take me a lot longer to find 'the dog' and I'm certainly not in any rush
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 03:58 PM
I was a first time owner and got a dog from a rescue. They may be looking for homes experienced with their breed or with some good experience for dogs with a lot of issues, especially if they're fearful or aggressive. But I think it's worth checking out! They may consider you for one of the dogs they know is pretty well balanced.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Just to update and thank everyone for the advice as it was definitely the best route to go down! My mum and I visited a reasonably local shelter today and instantly fell in love with a little MinPin cross who we have been 'approved' (So far, pending home check!) to adopt!

Thank you so much everyone for advising me to take the plunge and just ask, I would have never found my dog otherwise!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >