register for free

Dog News

Montana puppy mill – around 160 Malamutes rescued

Following reports from buyers of sick puppies, 51-year-old Mike Chilinski from Jefferson City was arrested on felony drug citations and animal cruelty charges after deputies found around 160 Malamute dogs with little or no food or water, in kennels covered with faeces. More than 200 marijuana plants were also found during the search in October.

The dogs, including puppies and pregnant dogs, were rescued from the puppy mill by a collaboration involving the Humane Society of the US, the Lewis and Clark Humane Society, more than 20 volunteers and several local vets. The puppy mill was described as being possibly the largest that Montana has ever seen.

Chilinski sold puppies via the internet and newspaper ads as 'show-quality' dogs. His website displayed such dogs, although Gina Weist, the Executive Director of the Lewis and Clark Humane Society, pointed out that pictures can be taken from anywhere. Apart from being underweight, many were suffering from parasite infestation and untreated wounds and some were very sick.

The dogs were taken to the Lewis and Clark Humane Society with a view to rehabilitation and rehoming. They have now been moved to a new indoor location, which is described as being larger, more secure and having the amenities needed to care for so many dogs. Gina Weist is positive about the dogs' outlook, saying: “dogs are probably one of the most resilient animals, you can see tremendous abuse situations and yet the spirit of the animal is ok, I think these guys are gonna be ok, I really feel that within my gut”.

Donations have been pouring in to help the dogs and an enterprising fund raiser has made dog biscuits to be sold to raise money for them. Local baker, Lisa Fairman, with the help of free labour and Park Avenue Bakery owner Renee' Kowalski has created 'Malamute Munchies' - thousands of the biscuits have been made and are on sale throughout Helena, Montana.

Chilinski pleaded 'not guilty' to animal cruelty, saying: “I am very confident that animal cruelty is not (a) viable...charge”. The hearing and testimony have been delayed.

To find out more about the Malamutes, or to help, visit the Project Malamute website: http://www.mtlchs.org/pages/malamutes.htm

For an update: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-news.php?t=160836

Your comments and views:
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I know of people with dogs of his breeding - he didn't just sell them as "show quality dogs" - many certainly were - over the years he bred many many champions and his lines are behind many of the top US kennels today.

Scary how anyone can have thought they could ever care for that number of dogs adequately.

I can not help but feel that everything just got out of control for him - perhaps he was mentally ill, was certainly at one point well respected within the breed and no one could doubt his knowledge - how very sad

Now it has come out - some people within the US community are saying how unsurprised they are etc and they knew the situation was so dire - shame nothing was done sooner
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks Muddiwarx - it's good to hear things from someone who knows more about things.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top